These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

OFFICIAL SPECULATION THREAD re: Release date of POD HD500/Desktop/Pro v2.x
by silverhead on 2012-07-22 18:42:53

I'm taking a cue from jimsreynolds who wisely started the inevitable thread about the Pod HD300/400 users getting new amp models before the HD500/Desktop/Pro users. This is useful to try to centralize the discussion. Here is the official place to speculate and vent your frustration about the associated HD500/Desktop/Pro update. Thanks for your  inspiration, Jim.

The usual pattern goes something like this:

- pick an arbitrary speculative date, based on nothing more than throwing a dart at a calendar page. I've seen a couple of dates already in other threads.

- publicize that date as if you know what you're talking about

- reinforce that date within your own mind so that it takes on unwarranted significance

- check the Software Downloads page at least daily - preferably more often - to maximize yourt frustration and disappointment

- complain loudly and often when you think the release is 'late' or 'taking too long', based on nothing more than your feelings. Complain particularly loudly about Line 6's policy of not providing advance notice of release dates - even vague notices like 'coming soon'. For some excellent examples of how to do this, please refer to the many threads on this topic in the lead-up to the most recent HD300/400 release. (That's another reason why I think this official thread will be useful - it will simplify future searches for useful examples of good whining techniques).

- repeat the previous step several times

- speculate on the reasons that it is 'taking so long', making sure to severely diss Line 6 as a customer service organization. Again. historical examples are very useful.

- repeat the previous step several times

- say nothing positive when the update is eventually released. A particularly effective closing comment is along the lines of "Well, finally it's here. I might not sell this POS after all, but I'm never buying Line 6 again after this horrendous experience."

It's all great fun, and highly entertaining for the reader. Please have a go at it!

Personally, I think it will be released on August 27, because it's my birthday. And also because I have a lot of inside information --- wait, I can't say that--- I really don't have any inside info -- or maybe I do........

Re: OFFICIAL SPECULATION THREAD re: Release date of POD HD500/Desktop/Pro v2.x
by spaceatl on 2012-07-22 20:15:43

You have already said too much...black helicopters are on the way.

by alfmetal70 on 2012-07-22 20:36:18

it is not a speculation but now, we, the HD500 user´s are the best example of: "pay more and get less"

We want the same what we are saying always and we are waiting: SLO100

by drschultz on 2012-07-22 21:14:37

I just wanted to chime in and say that August 27th is my birthday a well!

The rest of what you are asking is not a concern since I recently upgraded from a HD400 to the HD500 and I am still having fun with what is there now.  I have not messed much with what was added on the v2 update so I can wait awhile. 

--waiting---

--waiting--

--waiting---

--waiting--

--waiting---

--waiting--

--waiting---

--waiting--

When are they going to release it? 

by johnpicton on 2012-07-23 00:14:16

Sorry I know this isn't in the spirit of the main message (as I am not going to whine about delays).

As far as I see it the big difference is / was that the 300/400 users felt hard done by (in my opinion legitimately), as a firmware update for their product had been announced but was longer in coming than they though it should be. They now have their update and lucky for them there were extras as well.

As I see it the fact is that the 300/400/500 ARE different products with different hardware etc. Just because one or two in the range are updated we shouldn't make the assumption that the update is imminent or even coming at all for the others in the range. Correct me if I am wrong but I didn't think Line 6 have actually said anything about an update for the 500 series? Don't mis-understand me I will be more than happy to install the update if and when (and lets be honest it is probably a case of when not if) it arrives. But right now I am happy in the knowledge that the kit I bought a year or so ago can not only do what I bought it to do but actually a great deal more thanks to the previous update.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-07-23 00:46:33

I have a direct decendant of Paul the Octopus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus) who has indicated clearly and with confidence that the firmware update will be released 'soon'.   I will take follow uip questions but make them quick becasue the wife is away at summer school and I have promised the kids Calimari for tea tonight.

by Akeron on 2012-07-23 02:07:07

by Duker63 on 2012-07-23 02:37:48

I am happy for the HD300/400 owners

I was supposed to get the hd300 instead of the hd500

But it was my birthday and i got a 20% discount

I went with the hd500 instead because research showed it had a lot more functionality and features

I aint ever gonna whine

I got what i paid for and the same would of been said if I went with the hd300

by mazuwa on 2012-07-23 02:38:47

Seems like Line6 cannot serve both groups of useres at the same time. So it's one behind the other which may take sevaral weeks or months. And because it takes time to respect each hardware they put in all the current information they've got. Let's imagine it took 6 months for the next firmware version which is the time all HD300/400 useres had been waiting. During this time, maybe they already modeled 5 more amps. So why not make them part of the new firmware and let them finish their work before they continue with HD500/pro users? I cannot imagine Line6 are modelling amps just for one kind of unit. I think after the modelling process the algorithms can be applied directly to the higher devices (500/pro/bean) without problem.

And that's why they have no date for HD500/pro users until now. Because they have just finished their work on HD300/400. Now they start with HD500/pro users (with already modeled amps).

by PaulBateman on 2012-07-23 15:28:48

i dunno....

as i see it... L6 are simply showing they dont have the manpower to support all these devices.. its "rob Peter to pay Paul"

they slighted the 300/400 customers... so they worked to make up for it, but have now slapped the top-end users in the face...

offering 29 amps in the low end and 25 for the top end.... that is completely backwards and a sign of incompetence.. just imo i guess... but its pretty hard to defend this action

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-07-23 15:52:14

Well done that man, your positive input to this thread deserves a big

by jimsreynolds on 2012-07-23 16:02:30

I think Line 6 are on the hook to provide bugfixes for their software to ensure that the product does what it purports to do

That's all.

Anything else that I get is a freebie.  I like freebies but I am not entitled to freebies.  If I went with a Roland product it would not even cross my mind that I hadn't had my freebie yet because they simply don't provide them.   Roland gear is cool too but it is what it is and nobody complains.  At what point did we start kicking people who give us something for nothing?

My HD500 still does a heck of a lot more than the HD400 I considered when I went out and bought it and for me it was all about functionality.  When new amps arrive it is fun and groovy but I ain't gonna sit with bated breath waiting for them. 

If the product streams are out of lockstep for a bit: so be it.  

"Soon"  !!

by spaceatl on 2012-07-23 16:20:19

That's funny, I expect nothing less from a bunch of guitar players...I suppose that concept is hard to understand for some folks that would rather them adhere some sort of idealistic vision of Dilbert...

by silverhead on 2012-07-23 16:30:51

PaulBateman wrote:

... but its pretty hard to defend this action

I'm pretty sure this is how things are being done................because the specific technical skill sets of Groups A and B are different, and you can't simply reassign the people ...

One group of developers (GroupA) is working continuously to get new amp models ready for release (DSP development skills)

Simultaneously, another group of developers (Group B) is preparing firmware updates for the different products, (software integration and release management skills) and including the latest available amp models made ready by Group A.

Group B competes the HD500 release, and begins to prepare the HD300/400 release. By the time this is ready, Group A has made new amp models available.

Question: Should Line 6 include the new available amps in the HD300/400 release? Why would they withhold available goodies form the customers who purchased the less expensive products? Simply to appease the others? It seems pretty hard to defend that action.

by PaulBateman on 2012-07-23 16:42:54

for one... screw the whole lets be positive about everything... this isnt nazi germany, its the internet... forums are for people with issues, not to all talk about how awesome Line6 is..

and you miss my point... offering 29 amps in the cheapest model you make while only offering 25 in the top end units is idiotic period. As it stands right now and if i were in the market.. there is no way in hell i would buy the 500 or pro... the 300 offers more of what i want. for much less money..

there is only one logical reason... to sell the loads of 300/400 units out in the market.... or unless the profit margins are much higher on the 300/400 (which i doubt greatly)

and my point remains... if anything, those customers shouldnt have to wait so long to get updates they were promised... but they should NEVER get features before your higher end units... thats basic business..

im not hating... like i seem to need to point out every time i post, i am happy with my 500.... but that doesnt mean i have to agree with everything they do

by silverhead on 2012-07-23 16:45:43

Did you just call me a Nazi??

by silverhead on 2012-07-23 16:48:38

Silverhead wrote:

The usual pattern goes something like this:

- speculate on the reasons that it is 'taking so long', making sure to severely diss Line 6 as a customer service organization. ..

by spaceatl on 2012-07-23 16:53:45

Perry Mason: Dr. Guitarist, you are an expert on digital guitar amp modeling?

Dr. Vincent Guitarist: It has been said so.

Perry Mason: When you purchased the modeler called "The HD500" from the Line 6 collection, it was in the belief that real tube tone was dead?

Dr. Vincent Guitarist: Yes.

Perry Mason: As you previously stated, you were the unwitting victim of a fraud.

Dr. Vincent Guitarist: Well, obviously. They never did the updates on time.

Perry Mason: As you were when you bought a forged GT-13 on ebay?

Hamilton Fractal: Your Honor, we protest.

Judge: The witness will answer the question.

Dr. Vincent Guitarist: Well, I...

Perry Mason: Dr. Kenyon, did you not buy on ebay an alleged guitar amp modeler called the GT-13?

Dr. Vincent Guitarist: Yes, I did.

Perry Mason: Are you aware that the genuine GT-13 is in a private studio in London?

Dr. Vincent Guitarist: But I found that out later.

Hamilton Fractal: Your Honor, we protest this irrelevant attempt to degrade a witness for the state.

Judge: Since this is related to probity of the expert witness, I find it most relevant and illuminating. Continue, Mr. Mason.

Perry Mason: Was Mr. Roland blackmailing you in order to promote his career, Dr. Guitarist?

Dr. Vincent Guitarist: I won't answer! I won't!

by alfmetal70 on 2012-07-23 16:54:42

Yes, is not something against to the HD300/400 users, is something wrong from the Line6 Company. Is easy: "if you pay for the best HD (not 300/400 in this case) is because you want the best", simple, but now we have less amps... I don´t remember this type of epic fail from a company in the guitar world, more when the guitarrist always are going for the "perfect tone" and the SLO100 is a part of that way for many players.

I bougth the HD500 because is a very good machine, and also knowing about the continuee "updates" that have with he months, so you can be relax that if now is good tomorrow maybe well be better. The SLO100 is something that much people was waisting, and is so weird don´t have that important update having one of the top versions of the HD series... all bad with the company in this moment...

P.S.: the speculate: the want buy more unit of the 300/400 for some months, and that is more important that have happy to the real costumer, the "possibles" buyers are more important

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-07-23 17:30:30

silverhead wrote:

Lordy, we reached Godwin's Law quickly didn't we.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-07-23 17:33:46

PaulBateman wrote:

screw the whole lets be positive about everything... this isnt nazi germany, its the internet... forums are for people with no real issues to whine and moan, not to all talk about how awesome everything is..

^^Fixed that for you.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-07-23 18:01:08

This thread is getting really funny. thanks for the laugh . On a serious note I actually won't speculate this time because I feel that line 6 has established themselve again as a very cool company whatever that means. I owned the HD300, sold it and then updated to the HD500 and I honestly think that what they have just done,  demonstrates to me that they are a very special company and that's a primary reason why they are more successful than other companies. Line 6, you made me a very happy customer and take as much time as you like to update of the HD500, you are a bunch of nice guys and wish all other companies can learn from you. Thank you for making an outstanding piece of gear.(HD series)

by spaceatl on 2012-07-23 19:20:21

Maybe he hate the cans...

by thewhites on 2012-07-23 20:01:31

I have something to say to all the HD500 owners waiting for a firmware update. Patience is good and $%^*&$ *(^#$%@ &%%$#^%  &&&&* well worth the wait!!

by davran on 2012-07-23 23:29:37

The original post suggested he had inside info that the new models were coming. Great, but why hasn't Line 6 or other companies tried to model the EVH 5153? It would be nice to use its crunch and lead channels at low volumes rather than upset neighbors with that beast. If they are worried about being sued by Ed, they could simply call it a Line 6 "E3" original or something. Another perhaps easy model could be combining their SLO and JCM 800 to create the original 5150, which is what Ed said his amp was based on.

by Akeron on 2012-07-24 00:42:58

davran wrote:

The original post suggested he had inside info that the new models were coming.

Really? Maybe I'm not that good finding secret messages hidden in text...

by jimsreynolds on 2012-07-24 01:15:50

Mr_Arkadin wrote:

Lordy, we reached Godwin's Law quickly didn't we.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

:  New one on me.  Like it.

by hansvaneven on 2012-07-24 01:46:58

Again, without any serious EQ, the HD500 it will be an unfinished tool for me ... new amps, cool, but why not put in a 4th wheel before boosting the car ?

Hans

by bclarke675 on 2012-07-24 06:49:30

I disagree.  The 500 has Cab DEPs, that still aren't available in the 300/400, so 500 users can achieve sounds not available to 300/400 without adding amp models.  I'm not complaining (as a 300 owner/user), just explaining the logic.  I'm happy with what we got...I'm not that much of a tweaker...lol.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-07-24 07:02:27

PaulBateman wrote:

offering 29 amps in the low end and 25 for the top end.... that is completely backwards and a sign of incompetence..

Oh no!  Those incompetent fools gave the customer something!  For free!  The horror!

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-07-24 07:04:17

bclarke675 wrote:

The 500 has Cab DEPs, that still aren't available in the 300/400, so 500 users can achieve sounds not available to 300/400

Did anyone ever say that those DEP's would be available to the 300/400?  Maybe that's why there are 3 levels of product.  Some of the lower level ones won't get as many features.  Not that Line6 is being "mean" in withholding them, but perhaps there are technical reasons.  There's not as much processing power available on the 300/400 as there is in the 500, bean, and Pro.

by Triryche on 2012-07-24 07:17:38

I would gladly sacrifice 4 amps for DEP's and the added flexibly and DSP of the HD Bean.

by Triryche on 2012-07-24 07:20:01

Never heard of that before, pretty interesting!!

by bclarke675 on 2012-07-24 07:33:39

Not trying to start anything, Karl, but did you read the REST of my post?  I made a point of saying I was SATISFIED with what I got, but was just trying to explain why the temporary access to 4 extra amp models for the 300/400 users wasn't as big a deal as some (Paul) are making it out to be.  I'm just trying to put a positive spin back on the thread.  I'm sorry if I offended you and others by pointing out that the 300/400 owners didn't get everything the 500 users got PLUS the extra amp models.  I agree that DSP limits are most likely the reason we didn't get the Cab DEPs, which I suspected would be the case in an earlier post while we were waiting for the 2.01 update for the 300/400.

Again, I'm not disappointed, just pointing out the reason why we got these amps first.  Didn't appreciate my comment being quoted out of context.

by spikey on 2012-07-24 07:49:21

I love freebees like everyone else. And no - Line 6 does not EVER owe us a freebee upgrade of extras. But I also see Pauls point in putting cart before the horse. The HD500 "should" have more of everything compared to the HD 3/400.

Right now it does not. I am pretty sure this will be fixed for my HD500 Pro and am not worried about the time frame "at this point". Pauls other issues about the "Nazi" statements do have some

validity here as well or at least thats how it comes acrossed, in that most (not all) Experts here have nothing negative EVER to say about how Line 6 does ANYTHING, no matter what or how they do this. Ive beat this dead horse before, and dont expect this to change any more than I will on my thoughts about this...But OTOH maybe Im just able to be more negative because I dont know everything. Im not a so called "expert" here and I dont know that I wanna be if that a requiement is I cant speak what I think, but there may be more to it. I also know Im only seeing my side at times and dont have privy to all the info and headaches that are involved in being short on people and long on updates. I dont know what hoops anyone had to jump over or through to become an Expert, or what knowledge base one has to have, what they cant say, who they know and so on... All that makes a difference too. And this difference is also maybe what makes this place an interesting read ??? We cant all be experts anymore that they can all be fair and unbiased,  or any less bothered about the same things but restrained on what can be said... Thinking out loud here but Im betting Im close.

I mean, if we were all robotically positive about everything that Line 6 ever did, wouldnt that be the most worthless and boring place ever?!?!  So the message of the day is, that we need all of the sour grapes and pickle lickers here... Makes for a better learning experience if nothing else doesnt it?... As always YMMV

by phil_m on 2012-07-24 08:20:13

Pauls other issues about the "Nazi" statements do have somevalidity here as well or at least thats how it comes acrossed, in that most (not all) Experts here have nothing negative EVER to say about how Line 6 does ANYTHING, no matter what or how they do this.

I don't have time to find links, but I think if you'd look around, this statement would easily be proven false. There's one Expert in particular I'm thinking of (looking at you Karl ), but others have said some stuff as well.

But criticism should be grounded in reality, not just perception. I don't think the fact that the HD500, Bean, and Pro havenn't gotten the extra amp models yet really makes them at all inferior to the 300 and 400. I think it just is matter of Line 6 trying to give a little bonus to the 300 and 400 users.

Personally, I think the amount of criticism Line 6 receives surrounding the updates is ridiculous. I don't think any of its major competitors - Boss, Digitech, Vox offer anything near the number or quality of updates to their products that Line 6 offers for its.

by FrugalGuitarist on 2012-07-24 08:59:08

My guess is just before Thanksgiving. HD500 users will be absolutely furious. But the update will contain many more goddies than just the new amps in 300/400 2.01 and the users will be absolutely thrilled...

by bclarke675 on 2012-07-24 09:50:36

For the record, when the next update comes for the 500 etc., I hope it includes a couple of amp models that aren't on the 300/400 right now, in addition to the extra 4 we did get.

by PaulBateman on 2012-07-24 10:14:50

silverhead wrote:

haha... nah

But the truth is the L6 fanboys get a little old, at least for me... I have no vested interest in L6 and brand loyalty is a marketing concept... I bought the HD500 because i liked pod farm.. The second L6 shakes my confidence and there is a better alternative, im out.. simple as that

Now again.. I like my HD500 and im not trying to start some idiotic boycott or threaten lawsuits (ha.. gotta love those).. But this is backwards business they are doing, making excuses for them is pretty funny but to actually start bitching because people dont like it? i have a bunch of 4-letter words for them

they took the effort to change the comparision page to include the fact that the $300 entry-level model has 4 more amp models then the $500 flag-ship model.. and the people that paid the extra money now have to wait simply because they screwed up in delivering 2.0 to the 300/400 users? no company i can recall ever lasted by giving less to people that pay more.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-07-24 10:31:18

spikey wrote:

most (not all) Experts here have nothing negative EVER to say about how Line 6 does ANYTHING, no matter what or how they do this.

...But OTOH maybe Im just able to be more negative because I dont know everything.

I'm definitely one of the "not all" Experts here.  If they're doing something wrong, I'm going to call them on it.

To the second point quoted above, I'm glad you brought that up.  Because some folks might want to consider that the experts are privy to more information than most people have.  Sometimes we see things being posted and it just grates on us to hear it when we know better what's going on but can't get into details on it for non-disclosure reasons.

Have some faith.  It'll all work out.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-07-24 10:34:46

bclarke675 wrote:

I made a point of saying I was SATISFIED with what I got

You sure did, and I didn't mean to imply that I was responding specifically to you.  I should have been more clear than that.  There have been complaints from others about the 300/400 not having the DEP's.  I was addressing those.  As you were, I believe.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-07-24 10:35:39

phil_m wrote:

Pauls other issues about the "Nazi" statements do have somevalidity here as well or at least thats how it comes acrossed, in that most (not all) Experts here have nothing negative EVER to say about how Line 6 does ANYTHING, no matter what or how they do this.

I don't have time to find links, but I think if you'd look around, this statement would easily be proven false. There's one Expert in particular I'm thinking of (looking at you Karl ),

LOL.  How did I know you'd say that?

by PaulBateman on 2012-07-24 10:36:03

phil_m wrote:

But criticism should be grounded in reality, not just perception. I don't think the fact that the HD500, Bean, and Pro havenn't gotten the extra amp models yet really makes them at all inferior to the 300 and 400. I think it just is matter of Line 6 trying to give a little bonus to the 300 and 400 users.

Personally, I think the amount of criticism Line 6 receives surrounding the updates is ridiculous. I don't think any of its major competitors - Boss, Digitech, Vox offer anything near the number or quality of updates to their products that Line 6 offers for its.

im not getting into any of that... its not the point. but what if i do think it makes them inferior? you dont mean to say my opinion isnt valid because it doesnt match yours, do you?

I bought the HD500 partly to get any updates first... nobody ever expected, at any point, that the 300/400 would have more HD amp models then the 500/pro..

im not trying to say they dont deserve it or anything else... simply that its a retarded business move..

you dont give more to the people that paid less... ever, in any business...

now if i thought that as a 500 users, i'd be getting these models within a week... then i wouldnt say anything.. but from experience, im not holding my breath... the simple fact we didnt get them means we arent seeing them anytime soon... or they would have delayed the 2.1 update until it was ready for all to prevent any backlash..

Message was edited by: PaulBateman

by bclarke675 on 2012-07-24 10:39:04

Thanks for the clarification.  Just looked like an attack, when taken out of context.  All's good!

by Brazzy on 2012-07-24 10:51:37

Hahahahhaahahahahahah  Good One !!!!!!!

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-07-24 11:23:45

spikey wrote:

I dont know what hoops anyone had to jump over or through to become an Expert, or what knowledge base one has to have, what they cant say, who they know and so on... All that makes a difference too

Yes it does and it's a shame people don't consider that before throwing around the 'fanboy' moniker. Hopefully the reason for our positivity will become clearer soon, but then it will be forgotten soon enough and the next time an Expert is positive the fanboy monkier will be thrown out again.

These are my views as a human being and not a fanboy - the information I am privvy to will of course change my answers compared to if I didn't have that info - who knows, maybe I'd be complaining too (well probably not, I have a llife to get on with). Sorry to all I offend with my positive comments.

Whatever my replies, they're always my opinion and may be influenced by some extra info I have, but just because I'm positive doesn't make my opinion any less worthy (and as stated, there may be a reasons I reply positively other than to wind people up).

Anyway, I think the humour of the original post has been somewhat lost in that people are reacting exactly as the OP stated. Oh well.

by spikey on 2012-07-24 14:37:57

I don't have time to find links, but I think if you'd look around, this statement would easily be proven false

Thats a pretty flat statement judging by your time limitations, as vaild a statement as mine was then,  wouldnt you say phil?

And didnt you catch the "most not all" statement i made did you, or are you now suggesting the exact thing I am blaming the "Experts" here for,  just couldnt happen from anyone at anytime? Really?

In that case, thats more than just a flat statement phil. Its asinine and wrong. I HAVE looked around phil, and the only one here that has EVER qualified their non negative ALL the time posts here to me was Zap.

The Stepford Wives syndrom is what it reminds me of. And now that you deny it happening makes it ever so much more humorous to me phil...

Look, we all want the same thing from Line 6. Fix and update our Pods. But ALSO here,  people depend on what those name tags you have above you name, to mean what they say. Line 6 makes good stuff, but they are not perfect. And if you cant come clean and have ANY negatives "AT ALL" to state about anything Line 6 does here for us to read, then what valid good is that title you carry? Its not all good, all the time. Cant be. Putting more stuff in the 3/400 versus the 500 proves that, even if its short lived and a minor thing atm. So post all your negatives about Line 6 here phil, and prove me wrong.... Ive been wrong before so its all good.  But I would like to re-read them for my own edification...

by spikey on 2012-07-24 14:41:45

Glad to read that Karl... FWIW....

by spikey on 2012-07-24 14:48:36

Mr Arkadin, I agree 100 percent.

What irks me is when someone here suggests what Im saying has never happened....  And, there may indeed be reasons behind it as you and I stated. But it "has" happened and without qualifing its reason, tends to look very one sided. Thats all im saying. Thanks for your explanation and opinions.

by spikey on 2012-07-24 14:57:33

PaulBateman wrote:

you dont give more to the people that paid less... ever, in any business...

Agreed. Bad business move no matter the reasons. Im betting that there were (and still are) fights going on about this in L6 PR dept,  wondering how (as the Eagles sang) it ever got this crazy...

by phil_m on 2012-07-24 15:03:26

im not getting into any of that... its not the point. but what if i do think it makes them inferior? you dont mean to say my opinion isnt valid because it doesnt match yours, do you?

Sure you're entitled to your opinion, but I have a hard time believing that these extra amp models are going to make the 300 and 400 seem superior to the other PODs to many people. I suppose if they're important to you, they're important to you. They aren't models I'd probably ever use. But even so, the other are simply vastly superior in what they offer as far as routing and effects capability.

It will soon be a moot point anyway...

by phil_m on 2012-07-24 15:09:15

I believe several Line 6 employees grabbed a dog by the hind legs and pushed him around like a vacuum cleaner when they were younger. There's something negative for you...

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-07-24 15:37:02

I'm not about to spend time digging through my old posts - but I have agreed with everyone about improving the EQs and changing the silly % instead of dB values etc. And no, I don't understand why it was done this way and why it hasn't been addressed - even as Experts we're on the fringes of the loop so to speak. But like phil I don't see the 300/400 having extra amps (and the Soldano is three channels of the same amp) for a brief time undervalues the 500 - it still has dual amps and movable effects, so is still far superior to the 300/400 in my book.

by spaceatl on 2012-07-24 16:43:03

Sorry about that...I have always been a fanboy and a points ho...

by EnzoHeavenly on 2012-07-24 17:35:53

After reading all of this, I understand why 500 users (as myself) are pissed off.

I mean... as it has been said before, the flagship is meant to be the first to get the updates. It happens with other kind of products as well (as cellphones, tablets, computers, etc...). Even though doing this could generate complaints (you know, look at what happened to the last update for the JTVariax, people loved the new acoustic models but hated the 12-string models... Line 6 had to release a new firmware to kinda fix this).

I really can't understand why they decided to release it for the 300/400 series. I don't really mind as long as we don't have to wait over a month or two. Maybe they were writing the new firmware for the HD300/400 when the other team had finished writing the new amp models. That could be a simple and clean explanation.

Now, as a HD500 user... I DO think Line6 should prioritize it's high end modeler or, in cases like this, give an approx. time of release for the update. "Soon" is not good enough, sorry. I have always been supportive with Line6 but there are things that should never happen in business. Just look at Google, they will release their new OS (4.1 a.k.a. Jelly Bean) in their OWN new tablet, the Google Nexus 7 (which is their flagship, meant to be the Amazon Kindle Fire rival -or killer-), and THEN will extend the upgrade for the people currently using Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3), and after that... to those using Gingerbread (2.3). IMHO, thats how it should be...

But anyway, as someone else said, we shouldn't be ungrateful. Line6 is giving us more than we actually were supposed to get, so I'm happy with that. At least we ain't paying for FX bundles, if you know what I mean

The only question I have is... why can't we have the Bronze Master (featured in the FX Infusion 2.0 for spider valve amps). I would even pay for it xD

by toneman2121 on 2012-07-24 17:54:43

THAT DOES IT!  IF I DON'T GET MY UPDATE SOON... !!  I'LL DROP MY BEAN OUT THE WINDOW!    

i live in the basement

by mikey7 on 2012-07-24 21:26:53

No POD v2.x for you..........2 weeks!!!!!soup nazi.jpg

by Triryche on 2012-07-25 05:33:11

toneman2121 wrote:

THAT DOES IT!  IF I DON'T GET MY UPDATE SOON... !!  I'LL DROP MY BEAN OUT THE WINDOW!    

i live in the basement

LOL!!!

I don't live in the basement (at least no most of the time), but my Magic Bean does.

I wonder if we were to through it out the window if it would grow an HD Beanstalk that would lead us to a Golden firmware update!! 

by TheRealZap on 2012-07-25 05:42:29

toneman2121 wrote:

i live in the basement

in your parents basement? going to write a mean blog?

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-07-25 06:01:22

PaulBateman wrote:

I bought the HD500 partly to get any updates first...

No offense meant to you at all here, but what would have lead you to expect this?  Line6 hasn't had this kind of product line before where there are multiple levels of the product built around the same technology.  Why would one, simply because it has a higher number, get updates before another?  Wouldn't it be based around planned feature sets, differing hardware platforms/firmware optimizations, defects that need addressing, testing schedules and resource allocation?  Based on those criteria, it could be any of those products that get an update before the others.  This is one of those times where the circumstances favored giving the 300/400 platform, whose users were already feeling a bit left out, a little unexpected treat.

If you have a few dogs and you give a treat to one of them and the others snap at you because they didn't get theirs first, how long before you stop giving out treats altogether?

by meambobbo on 2012-07-25 07:54:02

You see what you've started?  All these calm, nice people who would otherwise fill this forum with friendly advice and motivational cheer have been pushed to tear each other apart, limb by limb.  I hope you are satisfied.  The blood is on your hands.

Oh and the official release date of the new Pod HD bean/pro/500 firmware is going to be sometime between Monday and Friday, if it exists.  And don't ask - I don't know which week.

by silverhead on 2012-07-25 08:12:18

meambobbo wrote:

You see what you've started?  All these calm, nice people who would otherwise fill this forum with friendly advice and motivational cheer have been pushed to tear each other apart, limb by limb.  I hope you are satisfied.  The blood is on your hands.....

Not at all. The blood-letting was inevitable and entirely predictable. I simply provided a single killing-field rather than have the whole community space soaked.

Like I said in the opening, it's all great fun and provides much entertainment for the reader. With any luck, the main combatants will focus all their energies here until the update is released, so in the meantime the rest of us can participate elsewhere in the forum. It's all just an insidious misdirection on my part.....

... oh, and don't forget that doing things like this is part of the fanboy agreement that all Experts have to sign with line 6...... I'm not allowed to express my own opinions about anything here....

by jimsreynolds on 2012-07-25 08:21:45

silverhead wrote:

The blood-letting was inevitable and entirely predictable. I simply provided a single killing-field rather than have the whole community space soaked.

Firmwaremageddon.!

by PaulBateman on 2012-07-25 11:30:02

haha... I try to keep things civilized, this isnt the xbox forums afterall

My whole thing was pointing out its a bad business move, regardless of their reasons for doing it.. thats all..

Understandably, some get annoyed just because they lump me into the group of people that feel entitled to everything under the sun blah blah..

I was never here to make a claim i feel i deserve it.. i want it, yesterday preferably..lol.. but whatever.. Their announcement on facebook was full of pissed off HD500 users and who can blame them? Thats where the fanboy thing came in.. Just because you may feel cab DEP's are more important then amp models, doesnt mean others will too.. It really just seems like L6 fans are making excuses when L6 cant be bothered to defend their own actions to its customers..

I have no personal or vested interest in this company, i really dont.. But the basic laws of retail go.. the 300 gets you in the door, the 400 has everything the 300 has and more! the 500 has everything the 400 has and more!!

thats their business model... or it was... Nobody should ever be faced with downgrading equipment simply to get what they want.. neither line6 or anyone else has ever followed this mixed up business model.. and there really is no legitimate reason that makes this ok. at least i havent seen/heard one yet.

its not about my feelings or how i use my 500 or if i can live without the new models... its simple logic

by silverhead on 2012-07-25 11:52:24

Hey, no problem Paul. It's great to have different opinions expressed here. Like others have said, it would be a pretty boring place without that.

I respect your opinion about the business model. I have a different opinion, as I outlined earlier. When a new firmware update is ready for release, it is perfectly legitimate to include any new amp models that are available at the time of release, regardless of the product involved. I think that is a legitimate reason, and explanation, for the fact that the HD300/400 currently have amp models that the other models don't.

Just because I happen to have a tag associated with my name does not invalidate my opinion, nor does it make me a nazi or a fanboy.

You don't have to downgrade your equipment to get what you want - you just have to wait a bit. The HD300/400 users waited a long time. Hopefully the higher-model owners won't have to wait nearly as long.

by alfmetal70 on 2012-07-25 14:14:43

I think that is bad the situation because is being a "little figth", but I think (in a humble way) the problem here is:

-The fail is think about the owners when the problems is in the series: 300/400 VS 500.

Is simple, the company can´t do more amps, for example, to the "entry" products and less to the "top end" product, because is a "temporary disadvantage" in that part.

Is nothign about to be happy or angry with the owners, or something similar, all is peace&love. It is just different, is bussines, and they are doing a bad move, is easy to see and know that, only in this forum you can find clients with all their rigth (me too) to say or ask; Why if I buyed the top level version I don´t have the SLO100 now?

The correct move could give the update with the SLO100 to the 300/400&500 int the same time, but never, never only to the lowest series because if you pay for more you have all the rigth too say that you want the SLO. Remember that the marketing strategy, watching the web, is something like, "buy HD500 because you have so many options more in all sense than to the other series".

Is not a problem about owners, is about level of series in HD, and like they have client that used more money (because they wanted more option, for necessity, funny, more effects, more amps, I don´t know, the reason depend to the client) and are not happy... so: very bad bussines move...

by silverhead on 2012-07-25 14:20:17

alfmetal70 wrote:

... so: very bad bussines move...

Again, I respectfully disagree. I think there is no good reason NOT to give HD product owners the full set of available amps at the time their product firmware update is released. That was done with the HD500/Desktop/Pro back in April of this year when they got several new amps that the HD300/400 owners waited three months for. Now it was done with the HD300/400 release, meaning the HD500/Desktop/Pro have to wait a while. Seems consistent and fair to me.

Remember, the main product differences are in the overall features and i/o capabilities. So far, all products have received (and presumably will continue to receive) the same amp models within a relatively short time period. It's just a matter of timing, not product differentiation.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong - I'm simply saying our different opinions are both valid.

by Akeron on 2012-07-25 15:16:20

I know this was intended as a satyrical thread but... some hours ago in the official Line 6 page on Facebook they said:

HD500 users: your update is coming too. We can't say precisely how many weeks away it is, but the team is working on it. We would have liked to release all PODs at the same time, but since the 300 and 400 were finished first we let them loose. We'll let you know when we're getting close

by silverhead on 2012-07-25 15:20:54

Thanks for the update - glad to hear it!   ... so I guess now the speculation is some number of weeks.......

by PaulBateman on 2012-07-25 15:52:16

silverhead wrote:

Hey, no problem Paul. It's great to have different opinions expressed here. Like others have said, it would be a pretty boring place without that.

I respect your opinion about the business model. I have a different opinion, as I outlined earlier. When a new firmware update is ready for release, it is perfectly legitimate to include any new amp models that are available at the time of release, regardless of the product involved. I think that is a legitimate reason, and explanation, for the fact that the HD300/400 currently have amp models that the other models don't.

Just because I happen to have a tag associated with my name does not invalidate my opinion, nor does it make me a nazi or a fanboy.

You don't have to downgrade your equipment to get what you want - you just have to wait a bit. The HD300/400 users waited a long time. Hopefully the higher-model owners won't have to wait nearly as long.

I think i may have brought other threads into my somewhat harsh post.. It wasnt solely at you or anyone.. Just as you knew people (like me i guess lol) would bitch about it, i knew people would blindly defend them.. I have been helped greatly in the past by many of the "experts" and i really didnt mean to make it out to be hostile but it may have leaned that way.. i like a good debate!! haha..

They have actually announced their reasoning now so this is all besides the point... But i am of the opinion that the lower models should never have more of anything then the 500/pro.. It would be like the old pocket pod having more amps then the X3.. the reason to buy the most expensive model was to get everything! not just for the extra io options (which i dont use anyways) and certainly not to wait while people that paid almost half what you did can get some freebies that you have to wait for..

i suppose thats just my expectation but it was a logical one to make imo.. but i cant help but laugh when i see that comparison page.. 29 amps for 300 or 25 for 550!!

lol.. i mean yeah, there IS more to it then that... but from a headline point of view, it will make the customer scratch their head i bet.. and likely lead most of them to the least expensive unit.. Higher models get continued development and the lower models are lucky to get whatever they get... lol.. might be a biased point of view but if thats truely not the case, i wasted $200 getting the 500.. lol

by toneman2121 on 2012-07-25 16:00:11

Triryche wrote:

toneman2121 wrote:

i live in the basement

LOL!!!

I don't live in the basement (at least no most of the time), but my Magic Bean does.

I wonder if we were to through it out the window if it would grow an HD Beanstalk that would lead us to a Golden firmware update!! 

we'd have to get past the line6 ogre-monkey first

by toneman2121 on 2012-07-25 16:01:42

actually i live in the attic

TheRealZap wrote:

toneman2121 wrote:

i live in the basement

in your parents basement? going to write a mean blog?

by PaulBateman on 2012-07-25 18:52:50

EnzoHeavenly wrote:

After reading all of this, I understand why 500 users (as myself) are ****** off.

I mean... as it has been said before, the flagship is meant to be the first to get the updates. It happens with other kind of products as well (as cellphones, tablets, computers, etc...). Even though doing this could generate complaints (you know, look at what happened to the last update for the JTVariax, people loved the new acoustic models but hated the 12-string models... Line 6 had to release a new firmware to kinda fix this).

I really can't understand why they decided to release it for the 300/400 series. I don't really mind as long as we don't have to wait over a month or two. Maybe they were writing the new firmware for the HD300/400 when the other team had finished writing the new amp models. That could be a simple and clean explanation.

Now, as a HD500 user... I DO think Line6 should prioritize it's high end modeler or, in cases like this, give an approx. time of release for the update. "Soon" is not good enough, sorry. I have always been supportive with Line6 but there are things that should never happen in business. Just look at Google, they will release their new OS (4.1 a.k.a. Jelly Bean) in their OWN new tablet, the Google Nexus 7 (which is their flagship, meant to be the Amazon Kindle Fire rival -or killer-), and THEN will extend the upgrade for the people currently using Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.3), and after that... to those using Gingerbread (2.3). IMHO, thats how it should be...

But anyway, as someone else said, we shouldn't be ungrateful. Line6 is giving us more than we actually were supposed to get, so I'm happy with that. At least we ain't paying for FX bundles, if you know what I mean

The only question I have is... why can't we have the Bronze Master (featured in the FX Infusion 2.0 for spider valve amps). I would even pay for it xD

lol.. i was going to use the same argument.. I bought the Galaxy Nexus for that reason and am happily running Jelly Bean!

I didnt buy my HD500 for the variax support.. or the XLR or spdif etc... I bought it because i didnt want to be sitting there 6 months or a year down the road, looking at some cool new feature that was only available for the 500/pro and thinking "crap..shoulda got the 500"

It is the flagship model... I assumed all development work would be done for it, and THEN trickle down to the lower-end models where possible.. I thought it was completely fair to make the 300/400 users wait for 2.0.. not to be mean, but they paid half what i did in some cases.. common sense kinda tells those customers they will take a backseat to people that bought the top models..

their long wait for 2.0 only hints at the wait we now face im afraid.. it seems to me they completely screwed themselves when developing these units, things like models should easily swap between them but the timeframe's L6 has been using seem to indicate the opposite.. that models and FW changes are completely independent of eachother 

all my opinion.. everyone will look at this a different way...

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-07-25 19:44:53

It is the flagship model... I assumed all development work would be done for it, and THEN trickle down to the lower-end models where possible.. I thought it was completely fair to make the 300/400 users wait for 2.0.. not to be mean, but they paid half what i did in some cases.. common sense kinda tells those customers they will take a backseat to people that bought the top models..

I owned the HD300 before selling it and buying the HD500 because I get tired quickly of being treated as second class based on the money I spent. As much as I'm eager to get the update for my HD 500 now, I think line 6 made a very smart decision releasing the update to the lower models. They really set themselves apart from other companies and restored the faith to most hobyiest and hard working musicians.

I think the HD500 is an insane value and a bargain considering what it offers, still there are many of us outhere that sometimes can't fit the HD500 in their budget, yet line 6 is showing appreciation for those who spent less. It's brilliant and I honestly love it. If you step back a abit, you will realize that the HD500 as it stands today isn't really lacking anything from a guitar palyers's stand point. The addional updates will come in time and they're just a bonus not a necescity. The more I spend time playing and ignoring the updates, the less I feel that the updates are really that necessary.

When I owned the HD300, I thought it was great that I didn't have to spend that much to get the basic tones that others who did pay double what I paid had access to,  and when line 6 gave updates to 500 I did feel abandoned. If I couldn't fit the 500 in my budget, I would have been more upset when the 500 got the 2.0 first. In a perfect world everyone should get the update the same time, but if it can't be done I don't mind alternating. the way I look at it, the timing of the update issue, since I honestly don't think the updates are really that pressing, is a very minor issue and a little price to pay considering that having access to similar technology from other companies involves spending double at least. Honestly every one should be supportive of Line 6 even adopting a business model that makes cutting edge technology available to the masses!  That's why I always respected line 6. How many can afford an AXE or a Kemper? Let's be realistic here, the HD series can stand it's ground against both and provide more functionlity at a fraction of the price. I've heard many HD500 and 300 sounding better than AXEII so the update is no longer a pressing isse for me.

by mazuwa on 2012-07-25 23:19:01

I'd like to hear the new amps through a HD500. Has anyone tried to connect his HD300 to the FX-Loop of his HD500 to hear how it sounds? But wait! I need another firmware update. I need a seperation of amp sims and cab/mic sims for my HD500, so I can listen to the new amps with cab DEPs!

by alfmetal70 on 2012-07-26 06:35:34

by silverhead on 2012-07-26 06:52:42

alfmetal, this is not directed specifically at you...... your post was simply the most recent of its kind so I am responding to it......

I must point out that those commenting about the differences in amp models between the Pod HD product series should properly be expressing their outrage in the Official Outrage thread:

http://line6.com/support/message/385393#385393

This">http://line6.com/support/message/385393#385393">http://line6.com/support/message/385393#385393

Thisthread is the Official Speculation thread, intended solely for discussions about the pending HD500 firmware release date.

I think this video clearly illustrates the importance of being in the right place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y&feature=player_embedded

We must keep everything in its place lest the forum police intervene and shut us down before we reach a proper conclu...... !! 

(perhaps my feeble attempts at humour here are failing.... oh, well. I hope readers are taking this as intended.)

by alfmetal70 on 2012-07-26 06:59:25

sorry if sound personal in my post I wrote about what I think from the actual company "move" in the updates, greetings and I will continue working and in the nigth... guitar again

by silverhead on 2012-07-26 07:04:29

Please - no apology required. My last post was meant to be purely humorous, as was the intent of this thread from the beginning.......

You weren't being personal towards me at all - I know that, and I fully respect your opinion about the company's decision.

Cheers.

by lowyaw on 2012-07-26 07:21:57

what if L6 offer one amp more in the upcomung HD500 update? and also, one cab more, and there'll be DEP for, say, delays? will you post an apoligy and bow your head humbly in front of their infinite wisdom?

by spaceatl on 2012-07-26 07:34:02

uh...hmmm....Half? HD400 is $100 less than the HD500....Yes, if suits were running the company then I could totally understand updates happening at the same time or HDPro/500/Bean getting stuff first...I am kinda glad they are all guitar players...

How many guitar players do it take to change a light bulb?

One to change it, and 11 to comment on how they would have done it differently and better...

Guitarists are a fickle bunch...Amazing they come to agreement on anything...

by phil_m on 2012-07-26 07:42:32

I think people are analyzing this way too much, personally. I think Line 6's reasoning was something like, "hey we made the 300 and 400 guys wait a long time for this update, let's throw them a little bonus to make up for that. Many of those guys tend to be metalheads anyway, so they'll probably love these new metal amps."

As they say, though, no good deed goes unpunished...

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-07-26 11:24:55

PaulBateman wrote:

It is the flagship model...

Is it?  Or if we go by the logic of assigning flagship status to the name of the unit, wouldn't that be the "HD Pro"?

by mazuwa on 2012-07-26 11:32:48

As HD300/400 firmware came out together, last time it was also for 500/pro/desktop devices at the same time.

by spaceatl on 2012-07-26 11:47:31

You have been right since the start Karl....people want the coffee...

by sethwolbert on 2012-07-30 10:40:01

When I was researching the pod 300,400 and 500, I noticed how the different pods were marketed to appeal to different guitarists based on their needs. Effects, outputs etc. So I chose the 500 simply because it had everything that line 6 had to offer in the pod hd series.  When the update became available for the 300 and 400, it just made me feel slighted.  How can they market it as a pod that has everything, but it doesn't? I am fully aware that line 6 doesn't have to put out any free firmware updates for us, but since they are, why not make it consistent? Even if they complete new firmware for one product before the other, why not wait and release them together to keep it fair and to avoid all this confusion. I know they are always researching and creating new models, but why confuse people and create all this frustration?  It all seems very needlessly complicated. If Line 6 would have released the update for the pod 500,400 and 300 all at the same time, this could all have been avoided and I wouldn't feel like I payed top dollar for a product that is supposed to have all the hd models that line 6 has to offer, but doesn't.

by silverhead on 2012-07-30 11:17:26

sethwolbert wrote:

... Even if they complete new firmware for one product before the other, why not wait and release them together to keep it fair and to avoid all this confusion....

So if this policy were in place back in April, when Line 6 had the HD500/Desktop/Pro ready to release, but did not have the HD300/400 ready, they would have held back the new available amp models in the HD500 release 2.02 (Plexi Lead BRT and NRM, Flip Top + 8 new mics, and the Vintage Preamp). And then they would have had to hold back the recent HD300/400 release until the SLO and other new models were integrated into the HD500/Desktop/Pro. So in fact, by following this policy, nobody would have any of those models yet - they would all be available together in the pending HD500/Desktop/Pro release. At which time, of course, a new round of delays would begin if there are any new models available now that might (according to the current policy) make it into the pending HD500/Desktop/Pro release.

Did you not get some use and enjoyment out of your additional models in the interim? Shouldn't the HD3/400 owners enjoy a similar benefit for this interim period?

by RipperShred on 2012-07-30 20:19:52

Totally. Patience is virtue. You'd think the 500/pro/bean was garbage considering how people are loosing their minds. Com'on people, stop being so short sighted; we're probably going to get some slamin' stuff when the new firmware drops. And it's not like you can't get awesome tones out of the boxes as they are now.

I'll be surprised if there aren't additional amps (hoping for the same high gain amps everyone else is) above and beyond the SLO100 etc. If we wait a month or two, and there's absolutely nothing new and interesting beyond what is currently in the 300/400 update, then, maybe then, I might understand people crapping their pants.

I'd rather give them time to finish up something really good, then bitch and moan them into giving us a rushjob update with one new amp model in. Though I'm probably the minority here.

by PaulBateman on 2012-07-31 17:44:00

i dont think anyone is losing their mind over this... but speaking for myself, it was never the point how long i waited for it.. or even that i had to have it..

People expected the 500/pro to get first crack at everything.. its how everyone else does things.. L6's stance (good or bad) is just... different than expected..

to me, its disheartening to see how they develop these units... the old model packs rolled out to everyone at the same time regardless of the hardware they were using.. but now its pretty obvious the HD line is being treated as 2 completely seperate products with nothing being interchangable (im guess the cab DEP being exclusive means a crapload of extra work for everything).. it doesnt give any hope for timely releases, how many months did the 300/400 users wait? theres no reason to believe we wont be waiting the same time if not longer..

its simply annoying to see something i want only available to people that bought a lower-end unit.. its backwards business in my mind, it has nothing to do with impatience

by RipperShred on 2012-07-31 18:23:02

Well, no offense, but are we reading the same posts? I would say "losing their minds" is me being politically correct. I would say batsh*t crazy is a much more fitting description of what's happening. I own an HD Pro, and while i get the whole Skwisgar-ian "this ams the mosts expensivists so it's gots to be the mosts awesomists unit" angle, I saw it in a different light; I saw it as "line6 saying thank you for not pawning your 300/400s", and I saw it as a glimmer of hope that the R&D were listening to the masses clamouring for a more comprehensive high gain model selection.

I'm sure line 6 saw it the way I see it, and in retrospect probably should've made a parrallel anouncement when they launched the 300/400 firmware indicating to the high-end user base that they'll get something worth the wait they're gonna suffer in the interim. This would have done much to reduce the sh*tstorm that has since ensued.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the SLO100 crunch/lead models, I'm sure it's got the highgain marshall-y goodness that I'm hankerin' for (amoung other highgain tones that I'm jonsin' for) but I figure in a couple of weeks/a month/whatever from now the same thing'll happen when the new 500/pro/bean firmware drops; we'll get the SLOs, originals, AND something(s) new and awesome as well. Personally I'm hoping for the 5150II, Mesa MkIV & IIC+, and JCM900 & 2000s. I wouldn't shed any tears if they threw in a Diezel or two, either A guy can only hope, right?

As for it being backwards business? Yes and no, and I say more no than yes. No, it's not bad business, it's good business because it garners a lot of goodwill from the people who bought the mid and low end versions - which I have to believe is Line 6's bread-and-butter; not everyone's got top dollar to shell out for premium floorboards or rack units - and that goodwill carry to word of mouth advertising. The only bad-business I see here is just going radio-silent on us. I think if they said "I know the top of the line units are temporarily short a few models, but if you can be patient for a little while, here's what we're doing with the pro/500/bean firmware and you can expect X new models such as X-Y-Z etc. bug fixes, etc"

That's the only bad business I can see happening; not communicating better with the established user base.

by spikey on 2012-07-31 20:52:29

RipperShred wrote:

I own an HD Pro, and while i get the whole Skwisgar-ian "this ams the mosts expensivists so it's gots to be the mosts awesomists unit" angle, I saw it in a different light; I saw it as "line6 saying thank you for not pawning your 300/400s"

That's the only bad business I can see happening; not communicating better with the established user base.

Its nice to see that Line 6 is taking care of everyone. That part I appreciate as well as the next guy. And in order to keep the multitudes from pawning their units and/or giving Line 6 another black eye for not taking care of their customers in a time-ly matter and losing others from buying the cheaper Pods, they put their grocery bags back on their table and gave the 3/400 owners their long overdue update. I "get" all of that too. What I dont get is how can these units be programmed and designed so different, in that it takes "weeks" if not months, to create totally different sets of software updates for them? 2 seperate products i agree with Paul seems to be the case here, yet how can that be??? And WHY in the world would that be? For instance- and in no particular order here and using the KISS technic..., 

They used the same basic written code format (give or take) for each unit didnt they? The units "look" alike in many ways, and were made by the same hardware folks i assume, and didnt the dev's live, eat, and slept in the same building?. They did talk to each other one would assume ?... They used for the most part the same hardware (buttons knobs and jacks) on the outside of the boxes. I use the same arguments about going back to the moon... I mean if we already went once like we are lead to believe, why will it take 10 + years of preparing and designing to go back??? Did these same Line 6 engineers do this too? 

by RipperShred on 2012-07-31 22:44:22

I think they designed them differently because they were affraid some crafty guitarist/hacker would crack a 300/400 and get a 500 for half the cost. Frankly, I think they shot themselves in the foot there, because it's my experience that most guitarists aren't that tech-savy. It's like DRM (anti piracy software) built-in to the unit.  But if I had to think of a reason that would be it; if a 300 was basically a 500 with fewer buttons and some software-locked features, then they would be worried that someone would crack it and unlock the software-locks, and the majority of the public would just buy the cheaper 300 and learn to live with a few less footswitches since that would be the only difference.

Upside is if they made different hardware with also different software they have virtually eliminated the possibility of people "pirating" a 500 level processor out of a 300. Downside is they have to program for at least 3 different platforms. I'm guessing the cost and time they need to develop for all these seperate units is offset by hard-to-crack units; people buy what they need/can afford, as opposed to the cheapest and crack it.

This is of course just a theory of mine, but if they have an alterior one to what I've proposed here, I'd like to hear it because I can't see another reason for making so much more work for themselves and agitaiton for their customers.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-08-01 01:55:04

I initially thought it was the same processor/hardware etc but the 300/400 still don't have input impedence afer the latest update!  I thinking cracking will be an issue once POD FARM HD is released. AT some point they will release models packs and cracking would be relevant to those but ouside of personal computers and MACS,craking  doesn't seem to be an issue! Iphones and androids have thousands of paid apps and I don't think the users will trust or use cracked apps on their phones, so I doubt that guitar players would ever trust using a crack if it should ever exist on their RP500 or 300/400 to crack a model pack.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-08-01 02:00:31

Nah, it won't be the same architecture internally across the models.  Otherwise, why the staggering of firmware release dates? 

They would have built the original firmware for v2.0 (HD500+ version) and then there would have been a meeting (Title:  "what do we give the 400 users") that went along the lines of ...

"Do they get the Plexi ....?"

"Hmmm ..... yeah, ok"

"... Cab Deps ..."

"eeeeh .....  Nah."

etc.  Then a hash table in the firmware would have flags that enabled/disabled the features and that would have been that.  Simples. 

Different hardware.

by phil_m on 2012-08-01 08:06:57

I don't think Line 6 is that concerned about anyone cracking a POD like that. I think they released three floor based models to simply give people options at different price points, and to have direct competition to the lower-priced options from Vox and Boss. In the retail world, there is often overlap between a company's product offerings.  Why are there currently three or four different versions of Bud Light on the market with on slight differences in taste (if any) and cost. It's so Budweiser can fill large portions of the shelves in supermarkets and convenience stores with their products. They don't care what version the customer buys as long as they're buying one of their products.

The music world isn't quite the same, but there is some similarity. It's why Fender and Gibson have so much overlap between their guitar offerings.

by RipperShred on 2012-08-01 08:30:46

Then why does it take weeks/months to get updates out? Why are they so staggeringly staggered? Obviously it's not for the enjoyment of the community, because the majority go apesh*t over the waiting. They've got to have a different hardware/software setup for the different teirs, because if they don't, well, then they're just a bunch of d*cks for making people wait unnecessarily. Are you calling Line 6 a bunch of d*cks Phil? lol

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-08-01 08:39:16

phil_m wasn't saying that they aren't different hardware/software, no need to get your knickers in a twist. Crikey, overreaction much?

by phil_m on 2012-08-01 08:39:22

I'm not sure how you got that I was saying anything negative about Line 6 from that...

The system architecture of the 300 and 400 is pretty different than the rest of the HD line, and I believe that the development of the firmware for these units is done a bit differently from the others. It's not simply a matter of developing a model and plugging it into the firmware. As far as I know, each platform requires some unique coding. I don't think the reason for this has anything to do with Line 6 being worried about people "cracking" the devices though.

by MDrum08 on 2012-08-01 11:57:17

My experience with and perspective on the HD400 and HD500 mirrors yours, Jim. Well said!

by meambobbo on 2012-08-01 15:10:08

I would assume that is correct - while the basic signal processing algorithms need to produce identical output, they must be differentiated to do so for different architectures, in how they manage reading/writing to cache and other memory, and be able to do so in real-time given different DSP resources.

These differentiations may seem simple, but these are complex programs, and a seemingly-inoccuous change must be tested thoroughly to ensure no unexpected and possibly detrimental bugs are present, such as causing the device to reboot, or delete all patches, etc.

by RipperShred on 2012-08-01 15:24:53

You guys have been on this forum too long; you've lost the subtle ability to discern sarcasm and humour - note the LOL at the end of my d*cks comment. Grow a big hairy pair... of laughing muscles why doncha, you bunch of sour pusses.

by RipperShred on 2012-08-01 15:33:51

Back to the hardware differences; if they weren't worried about pirates, then such differing firmware software/hardware? Why not just put a 500 in a 300 encloser and software lock what they don't want people to use? I doubt if you gutted a 300 and a 500 they would extrememly different in manufacturing costs due to composition; I'm sure I'll be corrected quickly if I'm wrong, but I presume they're not made in the US of A, so manufacturing cost differentials probably aren't that significant. I'm tellin' ya; they didn't want anyone muckin' about in their floorboards, so they made it virtually impossible to crack the units for significantly more functionality.

They don't trust the userbase not to pirate/crack their hardware if they had one unified architecture. Plain and simple, anything software based can and will be cracked, so they went hardware/software variants. You want unilateral firmware releases, then fix the depravity of the human soul, and Line 6 won't have to build in anti-pirate measures into their hardware.

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-08-01 16:01:26

First of all you are way off base thinking Line 6 are bothered about hacking of hardware as their first consideration when creating a product.

Second you have a lot to learn about humour if you think what you said is in any way witty or subtle.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-08-01 18:54:09

SInce everyone is guessing here, my guess is the consdieration about piracy played Zero roll in the design of 300/400/500. The most consideration was given to making available to the masses (the biggest target market possible), a cost effective solution to adopt the new HD modeling. Knob count, spdif connection, input impedence capability etc. were the primary factors in the decision to make the HD300 the entry level unit. At the price of the HD300, it must have been decided that to keep the price down you must have different hardware enough to cause the staggering updates situation. Of course they can't satisfy everyone, but the majority of those who buy the HD300 are very appreciative of having access to this advancement in modeling at this basement price.

It's not just a matter of marketing, it's also about sound and feel. There's simply no competition at the price range of any of the HD series models. the only problemetic competition is from the HD models amongst themselves. I intially bought the HD300 knowing very well that to get this kind of modeling and feel, I would have to buy ELeven or AXE at more than double or triple the price!! I've tried and researched almost evertything outthere and couldn't find anything remotely close at the price. Furthermore, at this price range, simply there are zero updates from all other companies. Many line 6 users are aware of this and are very appreciative.  few users complain and that's expected because it's impossible to satisfy everyone.  Also at these prices, cracking is the furthest thing from anyone's mind. Even at $100 model packs, I highly doubt that a sane person would consider running a crack even if it existed and risk damaging the hardware! Cracking is completely irrelevant to this subject in my opinion, because people have already bought the hardware/sofware package what's there to crack. When we get to AMP Farm HD , that can be a consideration, still at the prices that line 6 sell their software, i doubt that a serious guitarist/hobyis would even bother with cracks to use in their HDs even if it somehow did exist! Who's cracking their multifx?I haven't heard of cracks being a problem for Digitech prodcuts, Line 6 products, VOX, Eleven and when you use these hardware units with your PC or MAC they already provide the most sofisticated dongle there is that would mitigate 99% of cracks concern!

by RipperShred on 2012-08-01 19:01:27

I'd rather think they were worried about protecting their product line than think they're idiots who have no forethought as to the additional time/manpower/money it would take to support multiple differing architectures. They've been in the game a long time, so these things don't happen by accident. the R&D don't come up with different hardware/software by slipping on the toilet and hitting their head on the porcelain.

As for an education in humour, well, my comment obviously went over better than I'd thought; Witty wasn't a word I'd have used, but I'll take it, And subtle? most deffinitely, because I've no less than 3, count'em, THREE  line 6 "experts" waggin' their digital fingers of disapproval/misunderstanding.

I'm not looking for a fight, just puttin' in my two cents. Geesh, again, try to remember this is a product forum - not the real world - so lighten up, put on some pants for a change, and get out of your parents' basement and get some sunshine and much needed real-world perspective. Don't act like I called your mom ugly, or I knocked your icecream out of your hand.

It's JUST A FORUM. DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY. WIPE AWAY THE TEARS, TAKE THE DIAPER OFF, AND JOIN CROWN-UP LAND AGAIN.

The last thing I need is to go to war with with internet warriors over their spilt-milk/hurt feelings.

Well, mission accomplished, you've managed to aggrivate me enough into a rant. Sweet Jebus, what the H*ll is wrong with people today? .... Some people's chidlren, I tells ya.

by RipperShred on 2012-08-01 19:25:41

Before the aforementioned internet warriors take up arms, allow me to prempt you rants of righteous indignation with a formal appology - I'm sorry for ruffling any feathers, everything I've said has been in jest, but I really do think anyone who has taken the preceeding too seriously and has in some way been emotionall injured, or at the very least emotionally perterbed, to take a step back and again give themselves a reality check - this is still an internet forum, not to be taken in the least bit emotionally seriously. Always take what's said here with a pinch of salt an adult attitude - even if you some of the present company may still be legal minors.

And if you are in someway emotionally outraged my lighthearted shananigans and still feel the need to go up one side of me and down the other... Well... I ask that you please seek professional help before your go on a murderous rampage and end up another 6 O'clock news story - God knows we've seen enough tragedy in the news lately - please have yourselves committed before things go too far.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-08-01 19:30:26

RipperShred wrote:

they're idiots who have no forethought as to the additional time/manpower/money .........slipping on the toilet and hitting their head on the porcelain.

I'm not looking for a fight, just puttin' in my two cents. Geesh, again, try to remember this is a product forum - not the real world .................

It's JUST A FORUM. DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY..................

The last thing I need is to go to war with with internet warriors over their spilt-milk/hurt feelings.

Well, mission accomplished, you've managed to aggrivate me enough into a rant. Sweet Jebus, what the H*ll is wrong with people today? .... Some people's chidlren, I tells ya.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but "not the real world"??? So who are you impersonating here?? Use of word like idiots is not nice? Not to be a wise guy, but I think whoever you're impersonating needs to apologize because this is the real world and these are real people you called idiots. It's ok to have a sense of humor but to insult people is not cool!

by RipperShred on 2012-08-01 19:30:41

Allow me to issue another formal appology for my outrageously bad grammar and spelling, because while I'm both sober and of sound mind, rereading my above appology would lead me to believe I've been drinking and/or using illicit substances of some kind. I've really got to learn to proof read again.

In the immortal word of Larry the Cable Guy "Get'r'dun!"

by RipperShred on 2012-08-01 19:33:57

Good gravy man, are you trying to get me to retract my appology, and then retract my other appology? You'd think I was running for president the way you quoted so much of what I said out of context! I've made my two formal appologies, Now let's LIKE ADULTS just drop this now.

Come now children, let's play nice from here on out.

by toneman2121 on 2012-08-01 21:22:12

to all you guys who are seriously whining about having to wait, more amps ain't gonna help your playing. so instead of wasting time whining, go play. i apoligizie in advance for being so blunt and possibly downright insulting.

(posted with hesitation)

by RipperShred on 2012-08-01 22:15:32

Amen! Preach it brother! Testify! As the late great Frank Zappa said Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar! Great advice for all of us, myself included.

by toneman2121 on 2012-08-02 00:38:15

actually my response was triggered by your post 

by meambobbo on 2012-08-02 07:49:25

If people are going to get so emo as to fight about this stuff can we at least make it entertaining for the rest of us....

SHRED-OFF!!!!!!!!!!

by Triryche on 2012-08-02 08:07:16

I do not have access to my guitar and have been reduced to procasturbating.

This thread is the only entertainment I have atm!! 

by RipperShred on 2012-08-02 08:29:04

lol, um, I guess I'll take that as a compliment? hahahaha!

by toneman2121 on 2012-08-02 09:07:42

yes, of course

by jimsreynolds on 2012-08-02 14:56:36

^

¦

¦

¦

(Over on the JVM Forum they have an animated emoticon of a smiley eating popcorn.   One of them.  Right here.)

by hollis1003 on 2012-08-03 05:35:49

It's been 2 1/2 weeks now............................................

still waiting Line 6...............................

by MerlinFL on 2012-08-13 22:02:43

And with all this hullabaloo about when and what for an equality balance of sorts with those new amps and other features L6 added to the POD HD300/400 units, etc.  I'll leave that to the others to continue writing very entertaining material.

I just saw that Line 6 posted NEW Line 6 EDIT installer software?!?!?!  Wow!!! 

Could it be that someone somewhere within the organization after all the hiring during the supposed hiring freeze new to the company actually found a way to get the new JTV guitar to work with the older gear like the Vetta or POD XT, etc.??

No complaints here - just... "a mystery, wrapped inside a riddle, wrapped inside a enigma." to paraphrase Joe Pesci's character in the movie JFK.

I can't wait to install it and see what it does.  Maybe something surprisingly good, or nothing related to any of the older gear I have.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!  LOL

by MerlinFL on 2012-08-13 22:09:32

RipperShred wrote:

Good gravy man, are you trying to get me to retract my appology, and then retract my other appology? You'd think I was running for president the way you quoted so much of what I said out of context! I've made my two formal appologies, Now let's LIKE ADULTS just drop this now.

Come now children, let's play nice from here on out.

And for the sake of education and constructive use of this forum... apology is correctly spelled as underlined.  Just thought since you were concerned about what you wrote, etc.  I thought I'd help and give you this bit of info in case you wish to not have spellcheck keep red-lining this word in your posts if you choose to use that feature.

by spikey on 2012-08-18 14:37:05

PaulBateman wrote:

i dont think anyone is losing their mind over this... but speaking for myself, it was never the point how long i waited for it.. or even that i had to have it..

People expected the 500/pro to get first crack at everything.. its how everyone else does things.. L6's stance (good or bad) is just... different than expected..

Yes. It is different than expected for me as well. Now saying that means that I am used to certain things done a certain way,  and old habits die hard. Because on avarage (when sober and if I may be so bold),  we farm boys put horse first and then the cart...  We usually drive forwards in our pickups / cars although we can drive backwards too, when needed. Most of our structures are build from the ground up, and rain and snow (unless you live in the Texas Panhandle where it blows it horizontal) usually falls downward. Grass grows upwards usually. Heat rises... Not Line 6.... They do it "their way"...

by Warfare on 2012-10-08 14:44:36

Tic tac tic tac ... time is running out

by spikey on 2012-10-08 17:42:16

for one... screw the whole lets be positive about everything... this isnt nazi germany, its the internet...

This has gotta be one of my favorite lines of the year here....  And yes, it takes a real cynical SOB like me to appreciate this kind of raw talent...

by Warfare on 2012-10-10 13:52:28

Pretty right ^^

Anyway, still without news about that so awaited update ... gonna be crazy

C'mon guys !

by stratchamp on 2012-10-10 15:05:10

Anyone think it will come tommorrow?  Their updates usually come on a Thursday...

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-10-10 17:29:40

Two weeks ago Hugo from Line 6 said to come back in a couple of weeks to check on the Progress of the update that is coming very soon. I think there's a good chance it will be here tomorrow because what progress are we supposed to check for? It's not like line 6 relay progress information, it's either here or not.

by stratchamp on 2012-10-10 17:31:15

Yeah, I remember him saying that as well.  I really want that SLO.

by Warfare on 2012-10-11 13:43:26

Yep, me too.

I really cross my fingers for a release this week end ... spending time on the SLO would be delighting

Could Line 6 Hugo give us an update as promised ?

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-10-11 14:21:09

Here's an update. It's coming soon, could be a day , a week, month or two.

by toneman2121 on 2012-10-12 08:47:51

there building a new HD and the upgrade will be a new eprom

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-10-12 11:05:55

That's a great idea.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-10-12 11:26:00

toneman2121 wrote:

Yeah, I just finished testing it.  It will be here...(puts on sunglasses) ...soon.

by Triryche on 2012-10-12 11:37:03

And it has extra amps that are not going to be in the 300/400 series, at least not quite yet. 

by KozMcCharlie on 2012-10-12 12:37:06

Triryche wrote:

And it has extra amps that are not going to be in the 300/400 series, at least not quite yet. 

Yeah, but who's ever heard of a Doom amp or an Epic amp...

Now then...

Does that mean countless threads about how the lower level units are no longer important to Line 6 and owners demanding satisfaction?

Also, can we count on endless discussion about how Line 6 no longer cares about the budget minded modeller user?

I see a whole lot of excitement ahead...

Edit: My bad... I see that the Doom and Epic are already in 300/400. So there's that...

by toneman2121 on 2012-10-12 14:13:15

Karl_Houseknecht wrote:

toneman2121 wrote:

Yeah, I just finished testing it.  It will be here...(puts on sunglasses) ...soon.

take your shades off so i can tell if you're bullshitting me

by spikey on 2012-10-12 15:51:48

Of course he is BS'ing you. At least about the eprom. There is "no way on earth" that Line 6 is that stupid as to release a product that requires most of us to install an eprom INSIDE an HD anything... EVER.

Granted, some here could do this with little effort, but alot arnt even smart enough to know not to attempt it.... The worst nightmares have started with less efforts...

Koz,  the 3/400 guys got satifaction and then some on the last patch. They wont have a bitch coming until the year 2065.... Here's you another spoon to stir with....

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-10-12 16:28:09

Of course we're joking about the POD 2.0 that was EPROM upgradable to the 2.3.

No, there is no new unit that I'm aware of.  Although I really wouldn't be allowed to tell if I was.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-10-12 17:04:23

Karl_Houseknecht wrote:

No, there is no new unit that I'm aware of.  Although I really wouldn't be allowed to tell if I was.

If line 6 releases one more unfinished product like the POD HD, they might just emplode 

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-12 17:07:18

Although I really wouldn't be allowed to tell if I was.

Karl,

Doesnt it also mean you wouldnt be able to 'tell' if there wasnt?

No, there is no new unit that I'm aware of.

Otherwise we could try to establish what IS coming by eliminating the things you believe NOT to be the case.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-10-13 08:00:08

Seriously, nothing I'm aware of.  Scout's honor.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-10-13 13:41:20

Recently I'm starting to wonder with the time it takes for testing, who is testing and what are they testing.  Seriously, If I was asked to test the original PODs HD, before I even begin testing, I would have  pointed out that Pods shouldn't be released with current dreadful EQ!! Ok never mind the EQ, the first day I owned the HD500,  and the first few minutes when  wanted to mess around with the controllerI found out that the controller is basically useless for controlling Modulations and various other effects due to the controller also being a percentage while the parameter of the effects can be hrz or whatever else!! I contacted line 6 with feedback etc but I figured these tester will probably address these issue!!

I'm not gonna go on a rant (otherwise I would have to post clips); but seriously there are many items that remain untouched after two years. Are these testers testing the features to make sure they work. I don't know why recently I'm becoming really negative toward line 6.

So another update is going to come and as much as I appreciate the update, I have so much doubt that it will address the major issues (EQ, Controller Paramters, seperate Cabs so you don't have to run dual amps when all you need is dual cabs, seperate power amps to mix and much with whatever preamps. I'm anticipating the new version of revavler will be a wakeup call for line 6 and everyone else even though it's taking forever but if the difference between revalver 4 and POD HD is the same difference between POD Farm and revalver 3.5 then finally we'll have another alternatvie...

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-10-13 14:50:31

DeanDinosaur wrote:

before I even begin testing, I would have  pointed out that Pods shouldn't be released with current dreadful EQ!!

Believe me, I gave my feedback on the EQ models.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-10-13 17:24:14

Thanks for clarifying this because I'm trying to get a picture and I think I have it,  testing is micro managed within rigid confines of the egos of those who run the show who obviously know everything.....

by spikey on 2012-10-13 19:38:34

Karl_Houseknecht wrote:

Believe me, I gave my feedback on the EQ models.

+1 and I dont give these out...

Seems I may have misjudged...  le ruego me disculpe....

by Warfare on 2012-10-14 02:55:42

Ok, nice news thought ...

But, let's say that a bit of info from an official would be really appreciated (I mean about a release date)

by spikey on 2012-10-14 08:30:36

I agree Warfare... I would also like to know what the status is on it,  if its not to be released soon. Thats not too much to ask for... And I think that we have been more than patient as more of the gripes (mine included) were on the cheaper models getting more features first. Yes we all know the reasons why by now,  not to drag up old bones and Im just explaining that this is NOT the same as having (and showing) patience for the patch release delays on the HD500/Pro. But patience or not, the wait is now getting long in the tooth. Yes I got what I paid for,  and now I would like what Line 6 has claimed they are working on for it for over 3 months too. And I would like to officially hear some status update on this patch from Line 6, what the delays have been for, what new features have been added which caused these added delays. Anything other than words having "soon" in a single sentence.... I think we have earned at least that... And this would go along ways toward more customer satisfaction and less gnashing of teeth here.... As always YMMV...

by silverhead on 2012-10-14 08:48:50

I agree here, spikey. It's fine for Line 6 to have a policy of not announcing release dates, but when they voluntarily state that they will provide an update on the status of the release, I think they should be expected to do it. See Reply#82 here:

http://line6.com/support/thread/86302?start=75&tstart=0

Arguably">http://line6.com/support/thread/86302?start=75&tstart=0">http://line6.com/support/thread/86302?start=75&tstart=0

Arguablythey are only a day late in delivering on this promise - but still.....

I fully expect to see a status update early next week (that`s my personal opinion - not based on any inside information). Note, as was already mentioned, they promised a status update - not the release/update itself. I will do what I can to make sure we see this.

by Warfare on 2012-10-14 09:44:31

Wow, this update is taking me crazy since few months ... From my point of view this 'silent' communication from Line 6 is very boring.

So, I hope this week will bring us more than a "Ok guys the update is finally validated, it should be out on Monkey within one month ..." !

by spikey on 2012-10-14 20:46:04

Sep 27, 2012 1:30 PM

Re: OFFICIAL OUTRAGE THREAD!  How dare those HD300/400 users get new amps before us !!!

Hello everyone,

We are currently working on a release and we are close to finishing our testing, so an update for the remaining POD HD500/Pro/Desktop units is definitely coming soon.  Please check our forums in the next couple of weeks for an update on our progress.

Best regards,

Line6Hugo

----------–---------------------------------------------------------

This one silver ?

by cgtrox on 2012-10-14 21:50:58

LMFAO!! "The answer is ...you're not gonna like it,...it's 42!"

cgtrox

by Guitarmaniac64 on 2012-10-15 03:46:34

DeanDinosaur wrote:

I initially thought it was the same processor/hardware etc but the 300/400 still don't have input impedence afer the latest update!  I thinking cracking will be an issue once POD FARM HD is released. AT some point they will release models packs and cracking would be relevant to those but ouside of personal computers and MACS,craking  doesn't seem to be an issue! Iphones and androids have thousands of paid apps and I don't think the users will trust or use cracked apps on their phones, so I doubt that guitar players would ever trust using a crack if it should ever exist on their RP500 or 300/400 to crack a model pack.

Really is there a POD Farm HD coming?

Well that should be interresting..

Is it beacuse of that they give everyone who buy a Pod HD 300 & 400 get a Pod Farm 2.5 premium plugin for free?

Maybe it was just to see if they can use Pod HD as a harware dongle like they did with some old Pod and audio interfaces.

by TheRealZap on 2012-10-15 03:56:47

Guitarmaniac64 wrote:

that's speculation....

but you no longer need a hardware dongle with pod farm 2.5+ FYI

by Guitarmaniac64 on 2012-10-15 04:16:25

TheRealZap wrote:

Guitarmaniac64 wrote:

that's speculation....

but you no longer need a hardware dongle with pod farm 2.5+ FYI

Really is that done with the licens manager?

I dont have an internet connection on my studio computer so that isn´t a soultion for me.

Although hooking it up for just that is very temting

by TheRealZap on 2012-10-15 12:08:11

you can still do an offline activation... (i've not done it) but yes it's done through the license manager.

licenses are tied to your line6 account now, rather than the hardware... (purchased licenses)

the exception of course is "included" licenses...

any factory installed licenses still belong to the hardware.

by meambobbo on 2012-10-15 13:27:06

please...let's try to stay on topic...so does anyone know when the update is going to be released?

(by the way i'm completely kidding THIS THREAD IS DEATH)

by toneman2121 on 2012-10-15 13:53:19

i've sent my agents to monitor line6 in-house communications and they've assured me it has already been released

by Guitarmaniac64 on 2012-10-16 07:26:45

TheRealZap wrote:

you can still do an offline activation... (i've not done it) but yes it's done through the license manager.

licenses are tied to your line6 account now, rather than the hardware... (purchased licenses)

the exception of course is "included" licenses...

any factory installed licenses still belong to the hardware.

Thanks for the info!!

I got Pod Farm to work "offline" without using my XT as a dongle

All i had to do was search for a file on my internet computer after i had runned the license manager.

I think it is really crappy from Line6 s.c support.

As i have discussed this topic with a Line6 support member when i asked for another topic i mention several times that i dont want my XT as dongle on my studio computer that doesnt have an internet connection and he did even sent it to another s.c expert.

And non of them said to me that i could do an offline activation so i dont need my XT as "dongle" anymore

by TheRealZap on 2012-10-16 12:19:11

GET IT WHILE ITS HOT..... released.

POD HD500 Flash Memory v2.1 RELEASE NOTES

POD HD500 Flash Memory v2.1 is a FREE firmware update that is highly recommended for all POD HD500 users.

What’s New? POD HD500 2.1 includes five new HD guitar amp models and integration support for L3t, L3m, and L3s speakers over L6 LINK.
  • “Solo 100 Clean”, “Solo 100 Crunch”, and “Solo 100 Overdrive” HD Guitar Amp Models Three new HD guitar amp models based on* the Clean/Crunch and Overdrive channels of the classic, hand-built Soldano® SLO100 Super Lead Overdrive 100-watt head.
  • “Line 6 Doom” and “Line 6 Epic” HD Guitar Amp Models Two new, Line 6 original HD guitar amp models with lots of gain on tap. Line 6 Doom delivers maximum sludge by combining a Marshall® JCM800 preamp and Hiwatt® Custom 100 power amp with some additional tweaks. Line 6 Epic provides sustain for days at virtually any playing dynamic, giving up gobs of distortion with ease. Play with the Master Volume parameter to experience the true versatility of these amps.
  • StageSource Speaker Support The update also enables POD HD Pro and POD HD500 to integrate with StageSource loudspeakers in revolutionary new ways. You can instantly recall StageSource Smart Speaker modes via POD HD presets, making StageSource and POD HD Pro or HD500 the ultimate integrated FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) guitar system. You can switch from a full-range acoustic sound for the verse to a dialed-in 2 x 12” guitar cabinet for the chorus—with just the press of a footswitch. You can also change to Keyboard mode for dramatic guitar synth soundscapes. Add multiple StageSource speakers via L6 LINK for stereo effects configuration, wet/dry/wet setups, and more.
FAQ For more information about POD HD500, the POD HD500 FAQ can be found here.

The Advanced Users Guide The latest version of the Advanced User's Guide for the POD HD500 can be foundhere.

*All product names used in this webpage are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Line 6. These trademarks of other manufacturers are used solely to identify the products of those manufacturers whose tones and sounds were studied during Line 6’s sound model development.

by TheRealZap on 2012-10-16 12:20:50

Guitarmaniac64 wrote:

And non of them said to me that i could do an offline activation so i dont need my XT as "dongle" anymore

not sure when you asked... this is new since pod farm 2.5 was released... didn't work with any earlier versions.

by Guitarmaniac64 on 2012-10-18 01:40:29

I used a support ticket about 1 months ago (sep 4) about using POD HD Desktop as a hardware dongle so i could sell my XT as i only keep it as a dongle for the Pod Farm plugin.

by TheRealZap on 2012-10-18 05:21:44

you can't use pod hd as a dongle, so if they told you that it was correct... you also can't transfer a license that came with an XT....

however if it's pod farm 2 (which never ever came free with an xt anyway) and you paid extra for it, you should be able to authorize your computer for use with no dongle.

by Guitarmaniac64 on 2012-10-19 00:07:46

Yes i know  that you cant use pod hd as a donglle!!

But as i have used my XT as a dongle for Pod Farm for atleast 3 years or so (and didnt know that i could use it whitout my XT)

And i did see that offer buy a POD HD 300 and get POD FARM for free i thought they must have started to use hd as dongle for pod farm so i wrote and ask them if it was any plan for having all hd product as a dongle so i could sell my xt as i only keep it beacuse i use it as a dongle.

I got a responce pretty quick (from england support group) but he didnt understand and sent it to another person

So i mention it again and explained clearly that i think its crap that i have to use my xt as a dongle if you can use pod hd 300 as a dongle i also asked if those who bought that deal will get an ilook usb dongle if they didnt have any plans to use the pod hd.

Got another response same answer no plan and no ilook but NOTHING about that you could use pod farm without my xt as a dongle.

A third respons but nothing about using pod farm without my xt (which took a user here at forum maybe 3 seconds to figure out.. wonder what Line6 support people have been smoking?)

And yes i first got pod farm 1 for free as i own a pod xt but i bought v 2 later on

But i didnt know that you could transfer the licens you get via license manager software to an offline computer so i used my xt for that later on when i bought my hd i whished i could use that as dongle and sell my xt so i could get some extra space on my studio desk.

That is what i think it is crappy from Line6 support group they should have told me in the first place that i dont need my XT anymore

Just run licens manager on your internet computer transfer that file to your offline computer and put it in the right dir and of you go.

But not a word about that only that you cant use pod hd as a dongle.

I guess i am a special case nowadays as i use an offline computer as my studio computer most users have internet connection nowadays but i fell i got disturbed when i hooked up to internet i so easely can go to a forum like this and chat with people instead of making music

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.