These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Line 6 Lounge

New Guitar, Re-Wire Options
by TheRealZap on 2012-07-10 12:03:44

I picked up an ibanez ART100, it's a great looking/feeling guitar and the former owner updated the pickups to some SD's (SH1N/SH1B)

however, he was kind of a hack... and the controls are wonky etc....

not a huge deal... just an excuse to rewire... change some pots etc...

i would have done a full vintage LP rewire.. but it only has 3 knobs and a 3 way...

looking over the various wiring diagrams i see lots of options....

2 main ones:

1 volume 2 tone

2 volume 1 tone

and of course the 1 volume 1 tone blend ish kind of options...

i'm thinking 300k pots like a typical LP

but wanted to see what others would do and why?

here's the stock photo (other than the wiring the guitar is mint)

<a target=new href=http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/1800/ART100GD-xlarge.jpg" class="jive-image" height="680" src="http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/1800/ART100GD-xlarge.jpg" style="width: 226px; height: 680.9792843691149px;" width="226"/>

Re: New Guitar, Re-Wire Options
by TheRealZap on 2012-07-11 13:47:50

leaning towards 1 vol 2 tone FWIW

by TheRealZap on 2012-07-12 16:45:41

dang.... no problem getting opinions when you don't ask for them.... but ask... and you end up in a thread talking to yourself....

hi me!

by arbyuno on 2012-07-23 19:21:10

I would go two volumes and a tone because I like to have that quick kill option working the toggle. Also if these are four wires I would split the bridge with a push/pull pot to get a single coil. Tone options are always good. :-)

by spaceatl on 2012-07-23 20:07:46

Sorry I missed this one...Likely you made your move already.....

For passives, less it more IMHO....passive pickups load against the pots...the more you have in the circuit, the more they load and change the resonant freq...

I think you are making a good choice with 300K pots...If it were me I would do this...well, I would not put in a tone pot....

1 volume (no cap) - 300K NO LOAD Fender Pot (has the detent on 10 that removes the pot completely from the circuit). The lack of a cap will give you compound tone control with volume with less loading...some folks call loading tone suck...the highend response of the pup shifts down as the resitance increases...and caps just fuck the response all up...

switch positions up-middle-down

neck 3 way switch (tap-parallel-series)

bridge 3 way switch (tap-parallel-series)

pup selector switch where it is

series on the down position as it is the most used...parallel in the middle as it would likely be used less...I think you have 4 wire pups, so I am thinking of flexibility...and I hate tone pots...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.