These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD Dropping Volume-Need Support Ticket
by Texxxxx on 2012-01-08 10:40:30

My son's Pod HD Pro drops volume siginificantly, randomly, when starting up.

He has told me about this for a couple months, and as it rarely happens, has been difficult to troubleshoot.  I hadn't heard it until this morning.  When it happened in the past he would shut down everything in the rack and then turn it back on and the volume would be back to normal.

I told him we needed to verify what part of the rack was failing.  Signal chain: guitar>HD Pro>Mesa Boogie 50/50 stereo power amp>DT50 4x12 cab.  The HD and Mesa are plugged into a Furman power conditioner.

He has narrowed it down to the HD, and I just heard it myself this morning.  When he first turned it on, the volume was way down.  He turned off only the HD, and when it came back on it was full volume for 2-3 seconds, then there was a pop, and the volume reduced by at least half.  He turned off the HD, turned it back on, and now the volume is correct and staying there.  Been on fifteen minutes by now.  In the past, once it does it, it stays OK and this morning was the first time it did it twice in a row, which could show that it is possibly getting worse.

This is not just happening with one patch, as he has complained to me about it when he was starting up with different patches loaded.

I guess it is still possible that it is the Mesa.  Turning off the signal to the Mesa (shutting the HD, only, down) and then turning the signal (HD) on, again, might be kick starting a weak part of the Mesa.  I do have another Mesa 50/50 that I will drop in the rack, and see if we still get this problem.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I remember another thread that mentioned losing volume on the HD Pro, but, apparently, that person didn't have any further problems because they didn't continue the thread.

Re: POD HD Dropping Volume-Need Support Ticket
by RhelmTrent on 2012-01-08 11:22:22

My HD500 is doing the same thing...I thought it was something else in the signal path but have determined that it is the POD that is doing the volume drop. Seems to only happen on startup and has been an issue for me since updating to 1.4.

Anyone else experience this?

by Texxxxx on 2012-01-09 19:15:37

OK...well i'm still getting the same problem with a different power amp.

I changed out the Mesa 50/50 with another Mesa 50/50 earlier today.  I tried it earlier and it worked well. 

When I just now (three hours later) started up my son's rack, the clean setting it was on was very quiet.  I switched to a different patch, which sounded good and then back to the original patch, which still had low volume.  I turned off the HD, only, and then back on and the clean patch was at the proper volume.

I didn't make any adjustments to the clean setting when I was playing earlier.  I know that sometimes you can make a change in a patch, and even if you don't save it, the next time you start up the little star will be in the corner and your change is still there until you change to another patch and then back again.

I don't believe that is what is happening here.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thx

by birro on 2012-01-10 16:11:50

Hey Texxxxx

I'm experiencing something different. My HD500 has no sustain, also a volume problem

I hope we get a solution for our problems... however my discussion is

http://line6.com/support/thread/76931

If">http://line6.com/support/thread/76931">http://line6.com/support/thread/76931

Ifyou want to take a look...

Good luck!

by Texxxxx on 2012-01-10 16:50:30

I reflashed the firmware today. 

No change...still having the same symptoms.  It does it on different patches.  You go to the patch, it sounds about half volume, you turn off the HD and then on and then the patch is at the proper volume.

If I just switch to another patch and come back, the original weak patch is still half volume.

by birro on 2012-01-10 16:54:05

But have you tried another firmware version? I'd suggest you try using the version before, or 2 versions older...

At the Monkey, click on firmware version and at the right click on "rollback".

Try using another firmware and post the results so you can focus your problem on firmware or hardware.

And after installing the firmware, do the global reset settings

by Texxxxx on 2012-01-10 17:45:51

Sounds good, I'll try that tomorrow...thx, birro...

by Texxxxx on 2012-01-16 16:04:55

OK...so this volume drop is still happening.

I am trying birro's suggestion of rolling back the firmware and seeing if I still have the problem.

Rolling back to 1.30 as of now.

by Texxxxx on 2012-01-21 20:29:33

No volume drops since rolling back to 1.3.  I guess there is some bug in 1.4.  Hopefully 2.0 will be better.

Line 6...since you haven't responed as usual, forget the support ticket...just stick it up your output.

I like your products, and own many, but your support system is worthless.

by birro on 2012-01-22 09:48:45

Hey Texxxx

Ok, you've rolled back to 1.31 and everything's fine. No volume drops. Way to go!

Have you tested updating it to 1.40 again? Maybe the first update you've done had any problems when sending to the unit...

Test again upgrading to the 1.40 version.

About the support ticket, I only think that when there's no solution at the forums or nobody can help a user with tips/tricks, they try to investigate.

So far, everything looks fine. The final test will be when you upgrade to 1.40. If the problem returns, you may be possibly reporting a firmware bug that will help lots of users. But if you upgrade to 1.40 and the problem's gone, it's for sure that when upgrading the first time you had any problems that you haven't seen (like your computer with a very small freeze or something else).

Try the 1.40 and post the results

by Texxxxx on 2012-01-22 14:12:23

Thanks, birro, for the suggestion to roll back to 1.3.  I just talked to my son, and we decided to just stay there and with and see what happens with 2.0.

Before rolling back, I did reflash 1.4 with Monkey.  That means it was a fresh download and a fresh install and we had the same, volume dropping problem.  Perhaps the reflash did not overwrite whatever was bad, or perhaps it is a glitch in the firmware.  Whatever the case, our HD Pro is sounding good and working well with 1.3...in fact my son prefers the tone of some of his patches better with it.

I understand what you mean about trying to reinstall 1.4, again, and sharing with the community the results, but I feel like I have been Beta testing for Line 6 for over a year, now, having owned and commented on problems with the HD400, HD500 (2 units), and now the HD Pro.  I rarely bother anymore. 

I am tired of bringing things to their attention and having absoulutely no response from Line 6.  I understand their approach is to count on people, like yourself, to solve their problems for them.

As I have said before, I am a Line 6 fan and own many of their products.  Thanks for your help.

RE: POD HD Dropping Volume-Need Support Ticket
by Line6Hugo on 2012-01-27 16:58:25

Texxxxx,

Sorry for the delay. Our online support is a bit behind as you already know.

I have opened a support ticket to investigate this problem further. Please use the following link to view your support ticket:

http://line6.com/account/tickets/

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by steenhuis on 2012-02-07 12:02:30

I have the same issues with my line6 hd pro and firmware 1.4.

Some of my own stored patches dropped in volume after the unit has been switched on. I tried reflashing 1.4 several times, even with deleting all the patches. Also tried a reset (pressing left + power on) but no improvement.

The strange thing is, when i restart the unit 7 or 8 times, the problem disappears. Once the pod is started without a volume drop, it stays working perfectly all evening.

Now i have switched back to 1.3 the problem is gone.

by chimp_spanner on 2012-02-07 12:12:34

I have an HD500 and an HD Pro. HD Pro, touch wood, has not had any problems since going to 1.4. Not that I know of at least!

HD500 I had the volume drop + squeal, and rolling back to 1.31 fixed it. The problem happened when I switched guitars, not patches as with most users. I went from my passive 7 string to my active 8, and on playing the first note, the problem ocurred. Almost makes me wonder if it's to do with the new impedance controls? But that's total guess work as I don't know a damn thing about what makes a POD tick

Anyway, sorry, not hijacking the thread. Just adding to the description of the problem in the hope it might move us towards a faster solution!

by Texxxxx on 2012-02-07 14:17:37

The more info, the better!   Thanks, steenhuis and chimp_spanner.

I am surprised that they marked this thread 'Assumed Answered'. 

I still have an open support ticket?!?!?!

by chimp_spanner on 2012-02-07 14:56:14

I think it's 'assumed answered' in the sense that it is a known issue and the development team is working on a fix But still, I would hope they're collecting new data and info from us. I'm gonna do some testing with my HD Pro tomorrow but touch wood, I haven't had any issues. Seems to be mainly the HD500.

by steenhuis on 2012-02-07 15:58:36

Not only hd 500, I have the issue with a HD pro.

I have recorded the problem, my spoken comment is in dutch but one can hear the volume differences.

The video is with firmware 1.4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOCscCidx4E

In1,.3 firmware the problem is gone.

by Texxxxx on 2012-02-07 18:24:10

I watched your video, steenhuis, and that is the same thing my HD Pro is doing.  The volume is low at startup, sometimes, until rebooted in 1.4 and doesn't happen at all in 1.3. 

Thanks for shooting the video and documenting the problem.

by steenhuis on 2012-02-17 13:34:13

it seems that the new firmware solves the problem.

POD HD Pro Flash Memory v1.43 RELEASE NOTES

Important Note:

It is highly recommended that this update is installed in a specific sequence along with POD HD Pro Edit v1.08. Please see the installation notes* below.

Bug Fixes

This update addresses a bug which allows invalid data to be introduced to presets. The invalid data is caused by asynchronous communication between the POD HD Pro hardware device and the POD HD Pro Edit software application. In rare instances recalling presets containing invalid data may cause intermittent high volume events.

Installing POD HD Pro firmware v1.43 POD and HD Pro Edit v1.08 prevents invalid data from being introduced into presets. During synchronization between POD HD Pro and POD HD Pro Edit, the hardware displays a “Sync In Progress” message and does not respond to any buttons or knobs until synchronization is complete.

Additionally any presets which contain invalid data are reset to an initialized state. These presets are easily identified as “New Tone (Reset)”

by Texxxxx on 2012-02-18 07:51:19

Hey Steenhuis-  Have you installed 1.43 and found it to fix this volume dropping problem also?  I thought 1.43 was only fixing the squeeling some report when HD Edit is open.

by steenhuis on 2012-02-19 15:22:00

I installed 1.43 and it solved my problem. The HD pro is working as it should. No start up problems.

EDIT YES, THEY ARE BACK, although not as often with 1.4 but 1.43 is not fine.

by Texxxxx on 2012-02-19 16:01:36

Thanks, I'll give it a try sometime soon!

by TGospodinov on 2012-02-26 01:33:40

Absolutely the same issues as the described in the original post by Texxxxx with two brand new units (HD500). I coule recover the level though without turning the unit on and off by switching patches -- yes, most of the time when I go back to the problem patch the first time the level is still down, however if I switch a couple of times and especially up and down banks the level would recover. Updated everything the moment I got them and both had the dropping volume issues (one had additioanlly the hi pitched squeel). It was with the most recent version 1.43. Rolled back to 1.4 problem still appears but not as much (actually very rarelly), I will roll back even further tomorrow, I just spent a whole day adjusting the levels of all patches to be consistent (of course used a looper to play something back instead of playing the guitar)... will report what happens.

by TGospodinov on 2012-02-27 13:23:34

Soo booted yesterday morning, pixelated screen, connected to the USB port on my MB and the screen came back, however dropping level problem is still there. Rolled back to 1.31, it's better, however I got a pixelated screen after the update which went away after reboot. I will test more tonight but this is pretty bad. After rolling back yesterday a lot of my patches are actually really low in volume so I will investigate more tonight, however I am close to returning the unit to GC....

by Texxxxx on 2012-02-27 16:54:02

Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress, TGospodinov...or lack of...

Yes, 1.31 is working for me, but it seems it is a bit different for each of us.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for 2.0 to fix the volume dropping, but add the features of 1.4 and 2.0.

I understand you considering returning your HD.

by TGospodinov on 2012-02-28 07:46:52

well, I actually am returning it today, exchanging more like it since I already sold my xt live . Yes, last night booted to a blank screen with a few pixelated lines here and there and the volume was still dropping. Yes, I could have gotten it to a load screen by reinstalling a firmware (seems like that helps), but at this price I don't think I should have to do this ....

Tim

by Texxxxx on 2012-03-04 18:46:31

Upgraded to 1.43 today and immediately had the volume dropping problem.  Went back to 1.3 and all is OK.

by steenhuis on 2012-03-10 10:06:56

I wrote earlier that my volume problems were over but i have to say "no". I went back to 1.30

1.43 is better but the start-up volume problem keeps getting coming back.

by Texxxxx on 2012-04-01 18:10:14

Two weeks ago, support asked me to go to 1.43 and try isolating the power source, instead of having it go through my Furman.  Still having the occasional volume drops.

Going back to 1.3, today, and see if volume dropping goes way like it has done in the past with 1.3. 

by Texxxxx on 2012-04-11 05:26:11

Well, 2.02 didn't help out my volume dropping problem at all.  Line 6 suggests it is a hardware problem, and has offered to evaluate/repair it at their plant with their techs...a very nice offer, imo.  Minimum two week turnaround. 

I contacted the online retailer that I originally bought the HD Pro from when they first came out in September, 2011, and sent them the log of my Line 6 support ticket that opened in January of this year.

Much to my surprise, the retailer is sending me a new HD Pro today with a return shipping label for my present unit.  That is pretty spectacular customer service for something I bought from them seven months ago!  I am choosing not to name the online dealer, as I think I am just lucky in this instance and can't believe they would/could do this on a regular basis.

I also feel fortunate that Line 6 worked with me for the last two and a half months to try to sort out this issue.  Believe me, I know that every issue doesn't get a support ticket, or the continuous support that I received.  Line6Hugo was extremely patient and helpful.

Case closed!

by birro on 2012-04-11 07:35:58

Hey Texxxxxxx

Congratulations!!

Nice post of yours with these info and grats for your son too getting a new gear away from the problems!

by steenhuis on 2012-07-06 02:48:58

just like texxxx, my unit is repaired by line6.

by MathiasUlrick on 2013-01-25 13:11:42

I do not want to open a support ticket just yet. I just want your attention.

by Texxxxx on 2013-01-25 17:48:30

The only way the problem was solved for me was to eventually get a new unit that didn't do it anymore.  I never had the problem in firmware version 1.3, fwiw, in the two faultly Pros.

None of my HD Pros were fixed by Line 6, like Steenhuis, above.  I always received exchange units and the third HD Pro that I recieved never has had the problem, but the first two did.

I know of no way to fix it and suggest that you do open a Support Ticket and try to exchange units.  I would think that would be quicker than waiting for a repair.  I have no idea what Line 6 did to Steenhuis' HD Pro, so I have no idea of what the problem is.

Sorry to hear you got one of the bad ones...it sux, I know!  Good Luck, and try to be patient with Line 6 Support.  I tried everything they asked me to try; different power outlets, isolating it from my other gear, not running it through my Furman Power Conditioner and some other things that I forget.  I felt that by participating in their suggestions, it encouraged them to take me seriously.

by steenhuis on 2013-03-23 15:11:37

The problem is back but i wont take risks, i use the 1.3 and that allways works.

When i upgrade to higher firmware i get the cold boot volume drop.

by steenhuis on 2013-03-23 15:18:59

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgq7mxFBkeo

Video">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgq7mxFBkeo">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgq7mxFBkeo

Videoexample of my volume drop when turning it on.

by Texxxxx on 2013-03-23 18:02:18

I am sorry to hear that the volume dropping problem is back on your HD, steenhuis.

by steenhuis on 2013-04-13 04:56:00

The boot faillure is probably a software bug. Because the problem never occurs with firmware 1.3, it only happens with higher firmware versions. I also think that there are small differences in hardware components of the HD pro and that the new firmware is only tested on the latest models of the HD pro. There are so to speak "old model hd pro's" and 'new model hd pro's" and the problem never occurs on the new models. It would be helpful to compare the inside of a hd pro which is working fine with my version. Strange is that after several fail boots, the line6 hd boots fine, without volume drop and stays working. I don't like this because i want to turn my machine on and want to trust it 100%. I have zero tolerance for bad equipment. As long as i don't upgrade my hd pro is working fine. Line6 techs, get to work :-)

by Texxxxx on 2013-04-13 06:30:41

I think it is possible that are are older and newer hardware versions.  As I have said before, it was only on my third unit that the problem didn't exist.  Try to push Line 6 for a replacement that is brand new.

by knobsmcgee on 2013-04-15 21:45:19

Hey all,

Sorry to chime in so late but my HD Pro that I bought about four weeks ago also has the input gain bug.  I emailed back and fourth with L6 customer support and the agent didn't seem to know anything about this problem.  I assume that it's an older unit because it came loaded with V1.3 and the problem started a few days after I updated.  The support agent finally recommended that I take it to the warranty center in Sacramento.  It's been there for two weeks as of today.  I guess I'll have to call tomorrow to see if I can get info on what's going on.  I'll let you know if I get any useful information.

Knobs

by knobsmcgee on 2013-04-20 10:44:53

Good morning all. I just got My HD Pro back from the local Line 6 warranty repair. Since they replaced the main board, it again has v1.3 loaded. When I tried to load v2.1 I got a message that it's not a valid piece of Line 6 hardware and to contact customer support for instructions. Has anyone found a fix for this dropping gain problem other than going back to v1.3?

Thanks,

Knobs

by toneman2121 on 2013-04-21 05:45:42

when i read in the forum about this problem, it usually relates to the service center where the board was replaced. in that, an identity chip from the old board was not installed on your new board. you should open a support ticket from the link on your account page

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.