These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

How do I reduce hum from amp when HD 500 is connected?
by Mrsixstring on 2011-05-16 09:59:18

I'm sure this question has been posed before but I'll be darned if I can find it...

Okay, first, the POD HD500 works fine and doesn't appear to produce any hum when used by itself, like with headphones.  Likewise, my amp, a Mesa/Boogie Stiletto Ace, performs flawlessly with zero hum on the clean and crunch channels.  To save you all from the legwork, the amp employs a series FX loop,  there are no microphonic issues in any preamp stages and I have new rectifire/power tubes. I should also state that for live performance purposes I DO NOT use the POD's presets, preamp section or any gain effects (fuzz, OD or Dist.) - I only use patches that I create (some of them are hybrids created by editing presets).  This is why I bought a Mesa, for it's tone...  Finally, I connect my POD using the 4 cable method, first, because it places the effects where I want them in my chain and second, because it produces the least hum (over the straight-in method; Guitar > POD > amp input).

My issue is that when the POD is connected (4CM) and I employ my amp's gain channel I get this annoying HUM (probably 60Hz).  I can reduce it some by compromizing the amp's gain channel settings but I cannot eliminate the hum, BTW, the clean channel is pristine and sounds exactly the same with or without the POD connected.  I'll admit, I used to also have this problem with my POD xt Live but I could eliminate the hum (like at the end of a song) by using the POD's volume pedal to get quiet, HOWEVER, the POD HD 500 volume pedal does not get rid of the hum only the guitar's sound.

There MUST be a way to remedy this and I don't like sounding unprofessional during a gig - people didn't come to hear me hum all night long.

If I wasn't specific enough or you would like to know some parameter settings please feel free to question me; I'd really like to get to the bottom of this.

TIA,

Chris

Re: How do I reduce hum from amp when HD 500 is connected?
by BBarker on 2011-05-16 10:35:51

Things to try.  Plug all of your equipment into the same AC outlet or in to the same power strip.  Switch the XLR ground / lift switch to the lift position.

by Mrsixstring on 2011-05-16 15:17:52

Thanks for the response BBarker!

I'm already there,  I use a Furman power conditioner too.  I've also tried an auto-xfmer, Variac and the ground lift = no change.

In addition, I don't think it is an impedence mismatch issue, if it was, I'd have some hum on the clean channel too.

AND, I get exactly the same hum whether I'm using single coil, humbuckers, piezo or active pups.

...just trying to add whatever I can think of.

RE: How do I reduce hum from amp when HD 500 is connected?
by Line6Don on 2011-05-24 17:36:52

Hey Mrsixstring,

Are you using the supplied DC-3G power supply for you HD500 or are you using another power source?

Have you tested all of the guitar cables evolved to make sure it is not a ground loop or poor shielding.

Please try your POD HD500 in another amps effects loop and let us know your results.

Thanks.

Re: RE: How do I reduce hum from amp when HD 500 is connected?
by mdme_sadie on 2011-05-24 17:53:16

Do you have your the USB connected to anything?

by Mrsixstring on 2011-05-25 05:22:04

Hey Mrsixstring,

Are you using the supplied DC-3G power supply for you HD500 or are you using another power source?

Have you tested all of the guitar cables evolved to make sure it is not a ground loop or poor shielding.

Please try your POD HD500 in another amps effects loop and let us know your results.

Thanks.

Thanks for replying, Line6Don,

To answer your questions:

Yes, I'm using the DC-3G power supply.

I've tried a myriad of cables, all with the same result.  I know there is a ground loop as I can break the earth ground (using a 2-prong adaptor on my amp's power cord) and reduce the hum quite a bit but not enough to make a difference, but I don't think that's the only cause.  Now, I'm an EE but I don't pretend to know everything; how do you propose that I successfully test my cables for ground loop or poor shielding issues?!

I've tried my POD on 2 other amps (1 tube and 1 SS) long before I posed my question here, again, with the same results.

by Mrsixstring on 2011-05-25 05:26:46

mdme_sadie wrote:

Do you have your the USB connected to anything?

Thanks, mdme_sadie, for replying,

No, I don't use the usb port.  I haven't even tried to perform a firmware update due to the horror stories I've read.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-05-25 05:44:23

You could try a 1:1 ratio audio isolating transformer between the output of the HD500 and the chosen input on your amp.  A Behringer Hum Destroyer would also do the trick as would one of their Ultra-DI DI100 DI boxes (if powered with a 9v battery).

I don't get hum with any of my amps when using the HD500 with them, but I do have a Marshall 2554 amp that has hum problems when slaved to another amp,  A DI100 solves the problem.

Nick

by Mrsixstring on 2011-07-25 05:40:44

Line6Don, any more suggestions...?  I really don't consider this thread answered.

I do appreciate everyone's responses!  Thx

by Bluestone on 2011-07-25 08:03:54

It may be redundant..but just to see...try a Direct Box...with a ground lift...

OM

by Mrsixstring on 2011-07-25 14:12:00

Thanks, Bluestone, what I'm trying to do is get Line6 to take some ownership here for a product that is, in my opinion, still in beta test.  I don't think it's moral to charge someone to test their product and then not give out any feedback regarding the issues - and I know there are more issues.

If it takes an isolation xfmer or DI to do the job then those things should be incorporated into the unit or at least some written instruction on dealing with issues so you know in advance, the pitfalls of this unit.  Instead, all I've received from Line6 is a veiled post that points the finger at me as the probable source of the problem (great customer relations approach).  As well, I had addressed that post months ago and have received no other response from them.

I might not be so miffed if this unit were geared towards the garage band crowd but it is being touted as a pro level solution - and, well, I'm not feeling it...  I do have other issues with the unit that I could live with but this is a definite deal-breaker.  I'm quite ready to dump this unit on CL and go with a G-Force.

I guess I'm just tired of having to "settle" for the results I'm getting.  BTW, the only way I can even tolerate the hum issue is to break the earth ground to my Mesa' PS and I'm not real happy about that. I have never had to do that under any other circumstances (the same holds true for my other amps).

by Bluestone on 2011-07-25 15:53:55

I'm wondering if you are using the pre amp version for your patches...or the amp...

Several folks have noticed an improvement overall by using the pre amp into a head or combo....

The hum you are dealing with sounds amp related..and could be a simple adjustment to your eq or db output on the models you are using...

OM

by daddyopapa on 2011-07-26 13:18:06

I got this from Frugal Guitarist and it works. I used the Line 6 Editor to change input 1 to guitar and input 2 to Variax. This reduces hum a lot. The default is input 1 guitar+aux+Varix+kitchen sink and input 2 is same.

by Chuck_Charest on 2011-07-26 18:15:03

One more suggestion... Have you tried using the noise gate at the end of your post amp loop?  I used this approach and it significantly reduced 'noise' at high gains without effecting my tone.  That was a key selling point for me.

by Mrsixstring on 2011-07-27 07:39:47

Hey Bluestone!  I have tried, and like many of the factory presets and occasionally use them in the studio, but, live, I prefer the tones my Mesa puts out as opposed to inserting more stages/tone stacks to my physical preamp.  It took me about a year to dial in my Mesa - I'm not only protective of my sound but really picky too.  LOL

If I recall, I have disabled the eq section, or atleast set it flat and I have knob-dicked with the output/preamp input to obtain unity gain with the POD in circuit compared to nothing in the loop.

Once (!*IF*!) I get this nagging hum issue resolved and can truly enjoy and focus more on my sound I do intend to experiment with options that don't color my tone too much.

Thanks again for taking the time to think about my problem!!!

by Mrsixstring on 2011-07-27 08:24:25

Now this is something I haven't tried!!!  I can't wait to try this...!  I'll let you know how it works out...

Thanks daddyopoppa

by Mrsixstring on 2011-07-27 08:33:52

Hey Chuck_Charest, I have played with the noise gate but it's been a while...  I think I have only tried it as the first effect in my chain - as this is where I have always employed gates in the past.  I never considered putting one at the end of my chain as I have thought it would have detrimental affects on the modulation effects I use, such as echo and phaser tails.  But, since I am usually not one to make assumptions, the scientist in me begs me to take a whack it.  It may be a few minutes before I get to it but I will let ya'll know what I discover!

Thanks for your time, Dude!

by Mrsixstring on 2011-07-30 05:07:18

Well, daddyopoppa, I tried your suggestion as well as all the other options and the only thing I noticed was my rig was much noisier when in the "mic" position.

However, I did mess with my output settings and changed from "studio/direct" to "stacked power amp" and that did help a little. 

Next, I'll try the noise gate at the end of my post-amp loop...

by itsmyguitar on 2013-03-07 12:24:22

Some good options (above) that I will try but it would be nice if you could turn off the simulated hum that is ever present (and overly obnoxious) in the system. I realize that this is supposed to be part of the tone (either 60 or 50 Hz), but it is anoying! Noise gate works pretty good to kill some of it but when playing it seems to overcome the tone. And I've had complaints from band members, so it's pretty bad.

When I lose the simulated amps to play through my real amp I have no hum problem (the only way to kill the simulated hum) as my real amp does not have the anoying hum like the HD500 does, and I'm going through the effects loop. And I'm not using a noise gate on my real amp.

by TheRealZap on 2013-03-07 12:27:39

you can adjust that... you need to read the manual for the deep edit parameters AKA DEPS.

by itsmyguitar on 2013-03-07 14:36:48

Thank you very much for the tip!

After some tinkering I think that it is really the bias that is driving me crazy (or not). The noise that I am getting is like the circuit has the ground lifted. I will continue to tweak and see what I find.

With the hum and bias controls I could set to 0 and would not effect the tone, but still did not lose that anoying noise.

Nothing else is plugged into the unit other than my guitar and head phones. The first input is set to guitar. The second input is set to Variax. Switching out guitar cables doesn't have any affect. Output is set to studio/direct. Other output settings kill the noise but also the tone (so that's a no go).

Will experiment some more.

TB

by TheRealZap on 2013-03-07 17:15:56

in that case.. get the tubes looked at... i've seen many hum related posts that were resolved with a tube change...

no firsthand knowledge on that one so i can't say what tubes...

by bjnette on 2013-03-07 17:38:16

Many a year ago a guitarist friend purchased a L6 UX Preamp. These are cheap usb interfaces and the noise from the preamp was noticable especially when he upgraded his interface to a Focurite one.

I have had similar issues as yours on S/pdif output noise and my conclusion is that at the price line for the HD's, they are using the same crap preamps which pickup guitar noise to easily. On a clean no amp block or tuner on turned way up the noise is there.

With the Amp block engaged it is magnified the higher the gain model you choose.

The HDPro has a s/pdif in which means a quality DI preamp could be used bypassing the one in the HD presuming it is the same as in the 500. Most likely.

If I were a geek I'd see if a mod could be done on the pre amp replacing op amps for a quieter better one. It is entirely possible if your out of warranty and know what your dong.

In the meantime, if you plug your guitar into the Amp and then FX send to the POD, thru and back to the poweramp section using only your Amps preamp and not the PODs it should be cleaner and prove the prob to be the PODs inbuilt pre amp.

(I haven't tried it as my Fender Amp is noisier than the POD) 

If the noise is there as the HD is connected as above then;

DI boxes come in degrees of quality. Beheringer ones are cheap and noisy and won't make a differece imo.

Go for a much more professional line level isolation transformer in the FX loop send or return. These are simple and you can make one yourself. cinemag etc.

Thought I would add that the loop sends and returns are stereo using Tip, Ring and Sleeve (TRS) connectors.

Using an ordinary guitar jack Tip, Sleeve connection mono's the two feeds and could be a source of noise. I don't know but I presume the HD sums these properly.

Connecting a TRS with mic cable from the HD send and return but only one side connected into your amp TS not joined stereo, only, say left channel, could be worth a try to see if it is quieter. Bare in mind internally with the HD.

Hope it helps! You got a quiet Amp and I understand keeping it that way.

by klarkkentster on 2013-03-25 16:58:16

do you know exactly where to adjust this?   I think mine is doing this. If I turn the gain down on the amp it goes away

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.