These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Spider iv 75 suddenly resets, then back to normal
by magpie on 2010-06-12 16:55:49

I have had my new spider iv 75 for a day now and have updated it and the fbv express mkII to the latest firmware.

Updating went perfect without problems. I also did some editing in spider edit on the pc. I played it before I updated it for a few hours without problems. After the update I have had 3 very short "resets" where the sound goes silent and the firmware screen shows on the display. It happens very quickly and after that it returns to normal.

First time it happend after 20 min. 2nd time about an hour, a little longer for third. It does not pop like when it's switched on and all lights flash. It just resets and the firmware shows up on the display. It's over in 2-3 seconds.

I strongly suspect this is a firmware issue and I think I read here that other users have had this problem too. They were recommended to do a default reset and try to update again, that didn't help.

Is this a bug problem Line6 will fix in the next firmware update?

Btw, the amps sounds GREAT! I love the sounds I can get.

It's just a bummer that when I wanted to get away from unreliable tubes I get this problem with a digital amp.

Edit: Another spider iv user, Alan, experience the same problem with power droputs in this thread:

http://line6.com/community/thread/38259?tstart=0

Itseems the spider is extremely sensitive to normal small current drops, that's not acceptable.

Should be very easy to test and confirm this with some electrical skill and equipment.

It would be great if Line6 or someone here could do a little power test and confirm this rather serious issue.

Re: Spider iv 75 suddenly resets, then back to normal
by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-06-12 23:18:05

Hi

Try a factory reset (I think you already have).  Double check the mains connections and make sure the mains lead is securely plugged in the the amp.  If the problem persists either return the amp to your supplier for a replacement or take it in to an authorised Line 6 Repair Centre with your proof of purchase.

Nick

by magpie on 2010-06-15 20:46:10

Thanks Nick. Yes I've tried resetting and reloading firmware. It happened one time again today.

I marked your answer as helpful but I don't think my question is answered. It requires a simple volt measure test.

Small voltage drops are perfectly normal in every outlet everywhere and all gear I know of can handle it.

It would be great if Line6 or someone here could do a little simple safe voltage test and investigate this rather serious issue.

This thread also discuss this problem: http://line6.com/community/message/155136

RE: Spider iv 75 suddenly resets, then back to normal
by laplayantonio on 2010-06-16 02:20:20

hello mag

if reflashing didn't fix your problem, please contact your Line6 dealer, to have your Spider IV serviced

line6antonio

My Spider IV 75 reboots on it's own for no apparent reason
by andrewpmast on 2010-06-20 06:10:34

I have experienced this too.  It's happened a few times since I bought it last week (June 13th 2010).  It's not happening in a reliable or consistent manner so it will be interesting when I bring it back to the store and try to explain to them the problem.  I think they won't believe me.

Ironically, I had already researched this amp and knew about the reports of rebooting/restarting before I bought the amp.  While standing at the store counter, I told the store employee that a few other owners had this problem and asked if he knew about it.  He looked doubtfully surprised and said they haven't had an unusual amount of returns/repairs on it.  Boy, how easy is it going to be to get him to reproduce the problem if it's not consistent???

Side note:  I also have experienced a problem where the amp model just changed on it's own.  I suspect it's because the dials on my SPIDER IV are so very loose and sensitive (and the models are very close to each other as you rotate the dial) that the vibration from the loud volume shifted to another amp model!!!   This sucked as I was in the middle of a song with the band and it went from a clean to a heavy tone.  As soon as I switched the channel back, it was fine.  I'm not 100% sure if the vibration is the cause.  It's not happening consistently and the time it switched went from a very clean OD to a very heavy one. 

I own a spider III, Spider IV, Uber Metal, KB37, Pod2.0, FBV Express and FBV Express mkii.  I'm happy with ever product including the IV but I'm a little frustrated that I'm having problems like this.

Re: My Spider IV 75 reboots on it's own for no apparent reason
by magpie on 2010-06-21 19:15:21

Thanks for sharing.

I have not had any reboot problems for the last 5 days, playing 2-3 hours a day. I have tried turning on other normal household gear at the same time but I can't recreate the problem. So if it's not a power volt problem, could it be cold solder joints or the firmware? The reboot happens very randomly.

I did have another problem 4 days ago. The amp went totally silent when I pressed the down arrow on the amp to change user bank. The display and lights were ok, but the amp made a little sound, like when it's turned on/off, then silence. I had to turn the amp off and back on and it was all good again. I read in an earlier thread that this has happened before.

These problems are all very random and can't be recreated on demand.

I don't feel like returning my amp yet (being without if for several weeks) since several users have reported that they have returned the amp and gotten brand new ones with the same problem again.

I really hope that Line6 are looking into this and investigate further, troubleshooting the firmware and checking the components. 

Could this be another X3Live problem case where bad components needed changing, for free?

Re: My Spider IV 75 reboots on it's own for no apparent reason
by andrewpmast on 2010-06-22 04:54:03

I purchased the amp 7 days ago, which was within the grace period of the purchase I made.  I got a store credit and will likly purchase as VOX VT50.  Sorry Line 6, but I just don't want to deal with this again if I trade for a new amp.

by jdm5000 on 2011-12-17 16:43:57

It's been a year and a half and Line 6 still hasn't fixed this problem?  Just got a spider iv 75 yesterday (12-16-2011) and updated it to 2.00.  Rebooted 3 times in 30 minutes of playing.

by fflbrgst on 2011-12-18 05:39:09

Sorry you are having problems, but it's not EVERY amp that is doing this.  I'd check my power supply first, and the power cord.  I've had my Spider IV 75 since the summer with no issues.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.