These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Nhe7 here again. I have been trying all weekend to get the USB variax interface up & running!!!! Auggh!
by nhe7 on 2009-11-16 07:48:32

I have a couple items I hope you nice folks can help me with. I am getting very frustrated!!!! I have been trying for days to get my workbench to work with my variax 700 acoustic & the USB interface keeps blinking red on the guitar side. I have tried 2 different computers (neither with 64 bit). I have reloaded all software (starting with just the workbench & finally loading up Guitarport/Rifftracker, Gearbox, & Pod xt [more on pod xt later].....

Here is an observation/question. I have noticed that the Guitarport & the Pod xt both have "ESN" #s while the Variax USB interface lists NONE where a number should be. Does this mean something & what can I do about it. The Monkey lets me choose the interface & I upgraded everything but when I try to click on the Variax USB INterface, it says "no device detected" & then a box comes up next saying "no device configured, we will close variax workbench" or something to that effect.

I was also concerned that I might not have USB #2 but under USB devices there are 2 listings at the bottom for "enhanced" + I know my laptop is new enough to have USB2 (though right now I am trying to use everything on my older desktop that I had when I purchased all of this stuff).

With the laptop, I uninstalled everything & then just installed the monkey & workbench & with no other usb devices plugged in, I went around to all 6 usb ports built in to the laptop (there are 4 on the back & 2 on the side). Is it obvious which ones are enhanced or is it likely that they all are?

More important than anything, I just want to tweak my variax in the workbench program I paid good money for (not to mention the fact that I won 2 Guitarports, a shortboard & Podxt, Rifftracker, gearbox and a Variax 700 Acoustic.

Also, a problem has come up with Podxt. In the Monkey (which allows me to choose between Guitarport, USB interface & Pod xt), when I click on the Pod xt there is a caution sign that an update is available. When I click on this it tells me "Important: Your hardware hardware has not yet been activated to allow all the features you purchased." I am to press activate in the optional add ons tab. Each time I try to do this or update the one caution item (USB Firmware)  , it goes through the motions & then says "error"  "Warning, the transaction verification failed...If problem persists (which it has) click support button. You will not need to purchase another license key to fix this problem......

Again, this problem is secondary to me & way down on the list from getting the Variax USB interface to stop blinking red on the guitar side & let me use the workbench program. In a nutshell for now, is the lack of an ESN number got anything to do with the problem? Any other suggestions?  LINE 6 got any suggestions?

I thank anyone & everyone who has tried & will continue to try to help me. I am sure a sledge-hammer isn't going to fix the USB interface the way I want it to work!!!

love

lee

Re: Nhe7 here again. I have been trying all weekend to get the USB variax interface up & running!!!! Auggh!
by nhe7 on 2009-11-16 07:51:10

correction: I didn't "won" all that stuff. I OWN it at a costs of $1000s!!!!!!!!!       Dislexics UNTIE!

lee

Re: Nhe7 here again. I have been trying all weekend to get the USB variax interface up & running!!!! Auggh!
by Nick_Mattocks on 2009-11-16 09:51:51

Hi.  I feel your pain :-)

OK  -  I don't have a Workbench interface and I'm not overly familiar with how it's powered.  I use either a POD XT live or a POD X3 Live to do the job of connecting my Variaxes to my computers and the WorkBench program.

I feel that it is possible that the Workbench interface simply might not be receiving enough power in terms of current from the laptop at least - that is if it's USB bus powered.  Remember the Variax needs power and I assume that this is derived from the Workbench interface.   You do need to connect the Workbench interface directly to the PC/laptop and NOT through a hub - particularly a bus powered hub.   Laptops tend to be more limited in the amount of juice they can provide over a single USB port and as such are easily overloaded.  Some USB devices that are intended for laptop use and which are bus powered come with a special USB lead which features two plugs at the computer end to give the device a bit more oomph.

If the Workbench interface does have its own PSU then ignore my comments as it will be something else causing your problem.

HTH

Nick

RE: Nhe7 here again. I have been trying all weekend to get the USB variax interface up & running!!!! Auggh!
by AndyParedes on 2009-11-17 15:15:38

Hello,

Blinking red means that the Variax is not being "seen" by the computer. What hardware device are you using? If you are using the Workbench interface you need to power the unit using a TRS cable to the XPS box to get the unit to be "seen".

See the following links for more information:

USB Connectivity with Line 6 Devices

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-1484

Variax Reflash and Software update F.A.Q.

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-1633

Variax Troublshooting Tips

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-3857

Tuning Tips with Variax instruments

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4399

See the following link for more information on updating the PODxt drivers, monkey, and features:

Line 6 Monkey Installation and F.A.Q.

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-3898

Installing Drivers For Your Line 6 Device

http://line6.com/community/docs/DOC-4427

Please be sure to award Helpful and/or Correct points to community members who respond with helpful or correct answers, and close out the ticket as “answered” if your situation has been resolved.

RE: Nhe7 here again. I have been trying all weekend to get the USB variax interface up & running!!!! Auggh!
by AndyParedes on 2009-11-19 09:54:08

Hello,

It's been a couple of days since we've heard from you. We're going to assume your question has been answered and close this thread. If you still have questions please feel free to open a new question with us and we will answer your questions accordingly. Thanks!

by nhe7 on 2009-11-20 08:02:44

Nhe7 here again. I am sorry to be a pest but my problem with the Variax USB INterface has NOT been resolved. I have always used the 3 way TRS cable & the XPS-AB to power my Variax 700 acoustic so power is not the problem. The guitar works fine. I have tried the cable that came with workbench & other ethernet cables. All sofware is up to date. The blinking red light will not stop even though I have tried all suggestions more than once. I would hate to send the guitar off only to find that it is not the issue. Thank you to everyone who has tried to help but I am back to square one. I own a workbench & interface that does not communicate with my guitar.

lee/Nhe7

by Conrado on 2012-04-22 16:20:26

Hello. I Know this is an old post, but I have the same problem with my Variax 500. I bought it a few years ago and also the Wokbench and all the stuff. I tried with a lot of different computers, all of them working very fine, but the red light is always blinking. I am now using a very fast PC, with a I7, 16mb RAM, Windows 7 64b, but the interface never recognized my guitar. I wuold like to create alternate tunings and configurations, but never did. OK, I am using my old Fenders, and the Variax is in my closet. It´s a pity, and a shame, but I just gave up trying.

by mike-w on 2012-09-15 21:31:58

I had the same thing happen when I sent my VAx back to get my neck worked on because the strings kept dropping of the neck.  The loner I got from Long and McQuade wasn't seen by VAx Workbench, though Line 6 Monkey said everything was in order.  My USB Interface flashed red and I didn't get any indication of a problem when running through my X3L.

I read in a thread about uninstalling software and was pointed to this page: http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-1752">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-1752">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-1752

Mac users, go down about half way.  Mac instructions are hidden down there.

Unistalled, ran Monkey, reinstalled drivers for the X3L, and it worked.

My guess is that there was a driver jam-up, incompatibility, or corruption with the drivers on my computer, and unistalling and reinstalling put things in order.

by Blues_man001 on 2012-09-17 08:30:26

One thing I read was that the Variax must be powered at the time you are using the USB interface.  Also, some of the newer posts show that plugging in a 1/4" cable to the variax (unconnected on the other end) helps in some cases.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.